Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2000-PRESENT Impala Keyless Entry Re-Programs

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Paula Rzonca Mason,

Have you been able to resolve this issue? Did you purchase new remotes that need to be matched to the vehicle?

Please feel free to contact privately. I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
After taking the car to the dealer for some unrelated repairs, my remotes started working again. I was told there was an update to the ECM software. I sure hope this info helps someone else! I do have the receipt from the dealer that says exactly what was done. I will be happy to pass that along if that would be of any benefit to anyone.
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Paula Rzonca Mason
After taking the car to the dealer for some unrelated repairs, my remotes started working again. I was told there was an update to the ECM software. I sure hope this info helps someone else! I do have the receipt from the dealer that says exactly what was done. I will be happy to pass that along if that would be of any benefit to anyone.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Paula Rzonca Mason,

Thank you for the update.

If you have any questions or concerns in the future, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old September 20th, 2013, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2002 Impala key fob

Hopefully someone will know ..

I have a 2002 Impala 3.4 . I recently had some BCM woes and replaced it with an AC Delco reman . Had it programmed at the dealership . My electrical system has been normal for a week now which is good , however my keyless entry system does not after that BCM change .

I tried the reprogram steps , but for some reason "FOB PROG" is nowhere to be found in menu . I tried several times .

My question is whether or not the keyless option wasn't loaded into the new BCM . The dealer service manager is out for several days ...
Old October 7th, 2013, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2006 Impala LT and when I get to the Step where it ask you to relearn the remote and you select the reset it wound not accept the reset so I want to know what should I do if it's not doing nothing at this point?
Old October 31st, 2013, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

Here's a fun little story about my 2014 Impala (with keyless entry and keyless engine starting).

One of the key FOBS was scratched up so I complained to the dealer. They ordered me a replacement FOB (with laser etched key for use in the driver's door in the event of lockout) no charge.

Some time later the specially-ordered FOB came in so I went to the dealer to have it programmed to the car. The salesman got the procedure document and came out to the car which was parked in front of the dealership. The first step was to pry off the plastic cap on the driver's door handle revealing a conventional slot for a key. The cap wouldn't come off. Off to the service dept. to get a torx tool to remove the handle and get the cap off. Now, according to the procedure if you have a KNOWN FOB you can ADD another FOB to the computer. To do this, you insert the laser-cut key in the door handle and rotate it to the left 5 times within 10 seconds. Then the DIC should tell you it's ready for the new key. So you put the new key in the "pocket" (a little area in the center console) and press the start button. Then you exit programming mode when it says the key has been learned by pressing the start (engine) button again. But my (stupid) salesman got distracted by another salesman and it timed out. Guess what? It just ERASED ALL THE KEYS AND THE CAR WOULDN'T START!!!

I was frazzled. Just then another salesman appeared to tell my salesman that a customer of his had arrived (good-I can get rid of him and try to get this fixed myself) Upon reading the procedure, you can program keys to the car even if all have been erased IF YOU HAVE THE LASER-CUT KEY (which I did). You have to wait 10 minutes for the aforementioned boo-boo to time out. Then you insert the key in the doorlock and rotate it to the left 5 times within 10 seconds. The DIC then tells you that programming is "pending". Now you sit there reading a magazine for 10 minutes waiting for the next DIC message. When it arrives, you press the engine start button and the DIC tells you programming is pending again. You return to your magazine for another 10 minutes and repeat the procedure. Then it's back to the magazine for the final 10 minute wait (30 minutes of your time wasted total). Then it tells you to put the FIRST key in the "pocket" and press the engine start button. You do this with each key and after doing the last one you press and hold the engine start button. Lucky for me it all worked but what a GOOFY procedure! Apparently the comedians at GM decided that anyone trying to steal the car wouldn't bumble around for a half hour-even if they had the laser-cut key.

One good thing did come of my little adventure. The salesman felt so bad about the whole thing he told me I could KEEP the scratched FOB so I ended up with three keys to my new Impala. By the way-take care of that key FOB-I noticed that the replacement cost is $75!!
Old May 6th, 2014, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default please help

to program my key less remote i dont have the original radio inside my car can i still program it with a aftermarket radio. thanks
Old May 7th, 2014, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Depends

I think that would depend on what year your car is. You don't mention what year it is. If the manual says you have to use the radio to program the FOB, then it wouldn't surprise me to learn that you need the factory radio to do it. Maybe someone else here can say with more authority, perhaps someone who's tried it? Anyone?

Just FYI for anyone reading this forum, looking for FOB programming info for the 2012 model.

I purchased an off-lease 2012 Impala about a year and a half ago. The dealership was just rotten, and I won't be going back to them. One of the problems was the FOB. First they didn't give me one, then they told my my car didn't come with it. I had to pester them for two weeks before they would give me one, and then it wasn't the correct one but it still worked. (The trunk open function is programmed to the remote start button, but it doesn't matter since I don't have remote start). But I digress....

The FOB they gave me needed to be programmed, and the only way to do it was to let the dealership use some little hand-held programmer which they had to plug into the car under the dash. So, you pretty much can't program a FOB for a 2012 Impala yourself. But, hey, at least they didn't charge me to do it. I would have thought that since I was spending so much money on the car, they would have made sure it came with 2 keys and 2 fobs.

Another question I have is, if I get an aftermarket remote car starter, how would they program the new FOB that comes with it? Would you have to go to the dealership? Would they be able to program an aftermarket FOB? Man, auto manufacturers really come up with some dumb ideas. Programming a FOB (or one of the ignition keys that has an immobilizer FOB built-in) should be easy to do, not the big hassle they have made it to be. If it's a security issue, then allowing the customer to enter a PIN in the dash computer, which would allow programming a key or FOB replacement, would be plenty secure enough to prevent easy programming by anyone unauthorized by the owner.

Last edited by Mergatroid; May 7th, 2014 at 7:41 PM.
Old March 13th, 2015, 11:40 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasM
Here's a fun little story about my 2014 Impala (with keyless entry and keyless engine starting).

One of the key FOBS was scratched up so I complained to the dealer. They ordered me a replacement FOB (with laser etched key for use in the driver's door in the event of lockout) no charge.

Some time later the specially-ordered FOB came in so I went to the dealer to have it programmed to the car. The salesman got the procedure document and came out to the car which was parked in front of the dealership. The first step was to pry off the plastic cap on the driver's door handle revealing a conventional slot for a key. The cap wouldn't come off. Off to the service dept. to get a torx tool to remove the handle and get the cap off. Now, according to the procedure if you have a KNOWN FOB you can ADD another FOB to the computer. To do this, you insert the laser-cut key in the door handle and rotate it to the left 5 times within 10 seconds. Then the DIC should tell you it's ready for the new key. So you put the new key in the "pocket" (a little area in the center console) and press the start button. Then you exit programming mode when it says the key has been learned by pressing the start (engine) button again. But my (stupid) salesman got distracted by another salesman and it timed out. Guess what? It just ERASED ALL THE KEYS AND THE CAR WOULDN'T START!!!

I was frazzled. Just then another salesman appeared to tell my salesman that a customer of his had arrived (good-I can get rid of him and try to get this fixed myself) Upon reading the procedure, you can program keys to the car even if all have been erased IF YOU HAVE THE LASER-CUT KEY (which I did). You have to wait 10 minutes for the aforementioned boo-boo to time out. Then you insert the key in the doorlock and rotate it to the left 5 times within 10 seconds. The DIC then tells you that programming is "pending". Now you sit there reading a magazine for 10 minutes waiting for the next DIC message. When it arrives, you press the engine start button and the DIC tells you programming is pending again. You return to your magazine for another 10 minutes and repeat the procedure. Then it's back to the magazine for the final 10 minute wait (30 minutes of your time wasted total). Then it tells you to put the FIRST key in the "pocket" and press the engine start button. You do this with each key and after doing the last one you press and hold the engine start button. Lucky for me it all worked but what a GOOFY procedure! Apparently the comedians at GM decided that anyone trying to steal the car wouldn't bumble around for a half hour-even if they had the laser-cut key.

One good thing did come of my little adventure. The salesman felt so bad about the whole thing he told me I could KEEP the scratched FOB so I ended up with three keys to my new Impala. By the way-take care of that key FOB-I noticed that the replacement cost is $75!!
According to the owners manual, programming without any known remotes is disabled in Canada and they force you to go to the dealer. I was in a similar circumstance yesterday, when trying to add 1 additional remote to my 2014 Impala since we have 3 drivers in our household. The wind blew the pages around and it timed out while I was trying to find the right page. When this happened, none of the remotes, recognized or or recognized worked. I thought to myself, great, now I need to have a dealer look at it. I kept reading the manual, then I read if you hold the ON/START button (in the case of a keyless start car), it will exit the remote programming utility. I did that and the previously working remotes started working again. I found the page, read it a couple times to make sure I had it all down, and it programmed the 3rd remote like a charm.
Old March 30th, 2015, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Follow these steps:
-Press Vehicle information button until "PRESS [checkmark] (set/reset)TO RELEARN REMOTE KEY" displays.
-Press Set/Reset button until "REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE" displays.
-Press and hold both the Lock and Unlock buttons on the keyless remote for approximately 15 seconds. A chime will sound to indicate that the remote is programmed.
I have Impala 2008. Followed the instructions. Nothing happened after 15 sec.
Old April 25th, 2015, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Keyless Entry Remote

Okay here go's nothing..
Just got my second Impala. My first one took a major dump on me. Now here is my issue.
Just got a 2000 Impala 3.4 ltr V6 looks good for a 15 yr old car. Went about replacing body body parts. Got a new matching rear bumper cover from the local pick-n-pull yard ( NO NOT THE ACUAL PICK-N-PULL YARD THEY ARE ***** IN DISGUISE) but in the process of getting the old cover off I happened to find the key fobs ( yes both of them ) still in the plastic bag that the factory puts them in with the part number. I was stocked about finding them. Since they have been there for 15 years went to local parts store replaced both batterys in the remotes. Re programed them to the car and come to find out the keyless system will only work if the car is actually running or power is going into the cars electrical system. i would like to know why this is happening. Is it due to the age of the system and never being used or what?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000-PRESENT Impala Keyless Entry Re-Programs