Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2001 impala

Old November 12th, 2005, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 impala

Hello all, I just got my car about a week ago and I'm feeling like a slight knocking in the front end. I have no problem taking back to the dealer because it is still under warranty, but I was hoping to find a general idea of what it could be. It is not brake related because the rotors are brand new and the calipers are not sticking. It seems to be happening when I accelrate slightly or when i go around a gentle curve and have to cut the wheel slightly. at first I thought perhaps it could be a motor mount that might be loose but there is absolutely no knocking or anything when im simply cruising down the road. Also when Im at a stop, if I cut the wheel to either way, even slightly, it makes a knock that I can feel all the way down to the wheels. I had a couple of ideas of what to tell the dealer, perhaps a front end alignment is in order or possibly a loose or damaged part in the front end of the vehicle that could be causing it. I dont know if it matters or not but it is the six cylinder engine 3.6? Im still getting familiar with the car. I have to fix this issue before I can start adding some performance parts to the vehicle. Thank you for any help that might be offered. Pete
Old November 14th, 2005, 3:08 PM
Administrator

Default 2001 impala

i would have them look at it..it could be something as simple as a dry joint.
Old January 9th, 2006, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2001 impala

I have the same car and had the same issue. It's a common issue with that car. It's the "intermediate steering shaft". First it was "lubed" and the problem went away for a year or so. Then it was replaced and the issue never came back. If it's still under warranty, you need to insist on replacement. GM is aware of this problem.