Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2001 impala / aftermarket amplifier question

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2014, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2001 impala / aftermarket amplifier question

Today I attempted to install my subwoofer and amplifier , I have everything wired and running but when I turn the amp on it stays in protect mode, I have good fuses,good ground, new wires, everythifng seems to be OK .the amp is fairly new. Used for a month or so in previous car. I have a new head unit and car speakers, wired to the stock amp, rca from hu to new amp, nothing. Any advice ? Used a multimeter everything was at level . i took off my heat sink on new amp, no oxidation or corrosion no burnt diodes.
Old May 29th, 2014, 9:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many wires are there coming from the amp?

Let's list them and see if you are missing any...

Without the brand of amp this is as generic of an answer as it will get...
1.power

2.ground

3.amp turn on lead

4. One positive and one negative speaker wire.

Your amp may need a second 'power' lead from the back of the head unit that tells the amp to turn on.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...1221955AAqJVGW

Also....go look on the fuse panel on your car and find an empty outlet that is switched on with the ignition and run a wire off that
Old May 29th, 2014, 10:42 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar problem when I had my 2001 Impala. It was so long ago I went through this, but I did remember where I got info to help me through it. At the URL below you will find info on the actual wiring that goes to the existing amp. I assume you are tapping off of that wiring and not doing new runs back to the head unit.

2001 Impala How To
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

16SRX1250 - Memphis Car Audio AMP
Shop Sony WX-GT80UI Double-Din Car Stereo w/ Pandora headunit

i have the 12v power, ground, remote, rca, speaker wire. the amp turns on, it just stays in protect mode. but when we swap to an 03 hyundai it works just fine. do i have to bypass the factory amp to get my subwoofer to work?
Old June 1st, 2014, 5:02 AM
CF Beginner

do i need to tap or bypass the factory amp to get my aftermarket to work? in my other car i just connect and play.
Old June 1st, 2014, 9:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

what factory stero setup did the car have? what speakers are the amp hooked up to? sometimes factory speakers sets can have different ohms between the front and rear speakers. The aftermarket head unit will see this as a short and will not output anything. try disconnecting either the front or rear speakers and see if it plays.
Old June 1st, 2014, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

i finally got it WORKING. i relooked my work. doubled on speaker wires, replaced remote wire and i screwed a new ground. idk which one of these 3 got it but its all good now. my next step is the cluster. the gas gauge is always on E or full. never in between even when i fill the tank. can i replace my cluster with a 01 monte carlos' cluster?
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

probably could do a direct ipc swap.

how do you know its not the fuel sending unit? Does the fuel gauge do a sweep like the other gauges when the key is turned to run? If it does, you ipc is probably not the problem.