Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2002 Impala Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2009, 8:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is your check engine light on? if your CEL isnt on there probably wont be a code to read. if there was a pending code im pretty sure the CEL would've come on already.
Old June 16th, 2009, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mcbridea88
I own a 2002 impala with 160,000 miles on it. While I was on the road this afternoon, I noticed that it was accelerating very slow and it sounded like it would struggle to change gears at 40mph. It was almost like the vehicle would pause for a brief second or two before it would get enough juice to change gears. After doing some online research I have an idea that the Catalytic Converter may need to be replaced, but I'd like some other opinions as to what the problem could be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I had mine replaced. But it misfired under hard acceleration.
Old June 16th, 2009, 5:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Do as Hotsauce says. There's no use in replacing parts if you havent found the problem yet.

If we would all start doing this, then we would simply be able to answer all questions with "take your driverseat out of your car, put it in a brand new vehicle and call it your old car."

First analyse, then make a diagnostic. Then (if possible... and most of the times it IS possible) check your diagnostic. Then start replacing the right parts.

As for the first analysis...do you hear a rattling sound in your exhaust?
Old June 17th, 2009, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

yes there is a rattling sound that I can hear when accelerating. Also my check engine does not come on at all.
Old June 18th, 2009, 2:40 AM
CF Beginner

you know have you looked at all at your external fuse box loc. engine compartment, check your trans. sol i believe it is a 15a i was poking around on my 04 pala and come to find out alot of those fuses where not as tight as they should have been. I have yet to see if it helped with any of my issues but ill keep you posted!