Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2004 impala front signals work back dont

Old February 8th, 2015, 10:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 impala front signals work back dont

It started about a month ago the left rear turn signal stopped working follow by the right rear one. Both front work just fine. Also the brake lights stopped working to except the middle one. After all the reading I have done am I right in assuming that the turn signal switch in the column is bad and needs to be replaced.

Thanks
Old February 8th, 2015, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ky1duck
It started about a month ago the left rear turn signal stopped working follow by the right rear one. Both front work just fine. Also the brake lights stopped working to except the middle one. After all the reading I have done am I right in assuming that the turn signal switch in the column is bad and needs to be replaced.

Thanks
You didn't say - but

1) Have you changed the bulbs?

2) Are the bulbs in the socket loose and work when you push them in? Then the sockets are bad.

Also I don't know what you've been reading.
Old February 9th, 2015, 5:49 AM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Do the lights work with the hazard flasher button? That will tell you if the wiring/bulbs/sockets/grounds are OK or not. Also, the hazard switch may be the problem, try cycling it on/off a few time.
Old February 9th, 2015, 5:57 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry about that yes both bulbs have been changed. Also the Hazzard do the same thing work in the front but not in the back. Running lights also work fine front and rear. Also checked ground and it is ok
Old February 9th, 2015, 7:08 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by ky1duck
Sorry about that yes both bulbs have been changed. Also the Hazard do the same thing work in the front but not in the back. Running lights also work fine front and rear. Also checked ground and it is ok
I think this rules out the turn signal switch. For a double check see if there are yellow and dark green wires (should match the colors at the bulbs) coming out of the steering column. Check these with a voltmeter or test light.
If you have good voltages there I'd start w/ checking the wiring of the lights, sockets, and harness connectors. Use a voltmeter or test light to find where you are losing the connection.
Old February 9th, 2015, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

But I am also right in that the brake lights also run through the turn signal switch to. Also the center break light still works.

The hazard switch wouldn't affect the brake lights

Last edited by ky1duck; February 9th, 2015 at 8:02 AM.
Old February 9th, 2015, 8:34 AM
CF Active Member

On this car aren't the rear turn signal and brake lights the same? Or are they separate bulbs. If they are the same, then the hazard switch and turn switch both control the lights.