Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2009 Impala LT idiot lights on

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2009 Impala LT idiot lights on

Happened 4 times in Az. Driving normally and all the idiot lights turn on. Engine RPM showed zero. Because I was traveling down hill in D I know that engine was turning but I do not know if engine stalled and could not stop in traffic. I believe that power was lost to instument panel? Turn ignition off and it restarts no problem. Since I turned ign off don't know if engine was running. Mystry! Could be that only instrument panel lost all power but did not effect engine power? Any answers? Still under warrenty but hate to take it to dealer. 27,000 miles W/ 3.5 engine Love it. Moved up from 2000 Malabu with 0 problems.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
CF Junior Member

After incident checked Battery. Was OK but put on charger. Happened again next day and not since. I maintain Vehicle like new and has never been to dealer (TG).
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Answer my own question. Happened again. Found engine had power with tach at 0 RPM. So must be panel light power problem.
Old September 30th, 2010, 5:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Interesting thing. Coincidental? After broken lug not was replaced problem disappeared!
Old October 1st, 2010, 9:05 AM
CF Veteran

Only here can we hold a conversation with ourselves and have the remainder of the forum just watching! Man what a forum! Glad you found your problem klutz1 and shared it with the silent majority too.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 8:36 AM
CF Junior Member

These computers can be fickle so don't really know what the problm was but it has not repeated. When I spoke to dealer about it they would not guess what it was without looking for faults. $$$
Old October 5th, 2010, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

I would say right off hand its the computer. Have had problems like that before, but not with a chevy. Everything would turn off, radio, windows, everything in side of the car A/C everything. Had to have the computer replaced 3 times. Then my 1st wife totaled it. That ended that problem (By the way it was a 1980 Ford T-Bird). I now have a 2000 Blazer LT 4x4 that my 3rd wife refuses to let go of. And a 2009 Chevy Impala LT 31K on it. The only thing I don't like about the Impala is the road noise, my blazer is a lot quieter with the road noise, On the Impala I have to keep turing up the radio the faster I go and I live in AZ also...Out side of that, its a nice car, a lot of plastic and I don't see much difference between the LT and LS.
Old October 6th, 2010, 9:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the reply dman. Funny thing. Somehow a RR wheel stud broke. Unusual but could happen. They at first refused to replace it under the BtoB warranty claiming it was caused when the wheels were rotated. ( I denied the wheels ever came off the car) Actually they were rotated and I stood right in front when that wheel was torqued and nothing broke. I also said it didn't matter. What if the wheels were rotated 20M ago? Finally after threatening to tell the world and writing to the BBB, Chevy CS and the ANHS they caved. ...and that was only for a wheel stud!!!! After it was replaced the idiot lights behaved???? Wheel stud=computer problem?? Probably only a coincidence...but then Holloween is near!