Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2014 Impala 2LZ - No Sound

Old September 8th, 2014, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 Impala 2LZ - No Sound

My 2014 Impala 2LZ (with the Bose audio system) exhibited weird behaviour yesterday. Absolutely NO sound - no door chimes, indicator "ticks", backup warning sounds, radio, or Onstar. NOTHING. The radio looked like it was playing, and you could crank the volume and watch the slider move - suggesting that things should be getting louder. But nothing.

After coming to the stunning realization that everything you hear inside the car is handled by a singular audio system, I reasoned that the power amplifier was likely to blame. Before doing anything else, I thought I'd check to see if this was simply a case of a blown fuse (there *is* a discrete fuse in the engine bay fusebox, fuse #35, that reads "Amplifier"). I pulled it, and the fuse was good.

But here's the thing - simply removing that fuse, taking as long as it took to double-check it's integrity, and then re-inserting it... fixed the problem. I'm not sure how the various components of the system communicate with each other, but taking away power for 30 seconds or so seemed to "reboot" something, and all is fine now.

I went Googling for other folks reporting this problem, and found plenty of references to the wiring to the amp on older models, but didn't readily find anyone posting about 2014's. Thought I'd share this - just to see if anyone else has experienced this, and to contribute something useful in the event that this is a common problem, and someone else goes Googling.

Will update if this recurs (and will be taking it in to the dealer to ask "WTF?").
The following users liked this post:
Ashlee Williams (April 29th, 2021)
Old September 8th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by philf6
My 2014 Impala 2LZ (with the Bose audio system) exhibited weird behaviour yesterday. Absolutely NO sound - no door chimes, indicator "ticks", backup warning sounds, radio, or Onstar. NOTHING. The radio looked like it was playing, and you could crank the volume and watch the slider move - suggesting that things should be getting louder. But nothing.

After coming to the stunning realization that everything you hear inside the car is handled by a singular audio system, I reasoned that the power amplifier was likely to blame. Before doing anything else, I thought I'd check to see if this was simply a case of a blown fuse (there *is* a discrete fuse in the engine bay fusebox, fuse #35, that reads "Amplifier"). I pulled it, and the fuse was good.

But here's the thing - simply removing that fuse, taking as long as it took to double-check it's integrity, and then re-inserting it... fixed the problem. I'm not sure how the various components of the system communicate with each other, but taking away power for 30 seconds or so seemed to "reboot" something, and all is fine now.

I went Googling for other folks reporting this problem, and found plenty of references to the wiring to the amp on older models, but didn't readily find anyone posting about 2014's. Thought I'd share this - just to see if anyone else has experienced this, and to contribute something useful in the event that this is a common problem, and someone else goes Googling.

Will update if this recurs (and will be taking it in to the dealer to ask "WTF?").
Hi Phil,

Very sorry for this. If you need any additional assistance into the dealership, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via private message. We would be happy to look into this further for you!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
The following users liked this post:
Ashlee Williams (April 29th, 2021)
Old September 8th, 2014, 2:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you pulled the amp instead of simply trying to restart the car first?
Old September 8th, 2014, 3:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the engine running the whole time when you pulled the fuse? If you stopped the engine, then pulling the fuse may have had nothing to do with it. Please elaborate.
Thanks
Old September 8th, 2014, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LarryFL
Was the engine running the whole time when you pulled the fuse? If you stopped the engine, then pulling the fuse may have had nothing to do with it. Please elaborate.
Thanks
NO NO... The car was off. But in reply to the earlier question - simply shutting everything down and restarting the car did not correct the problem. In fact, the car was parked for a while before I got the notion to go out and try it again, and then to ultimately go for the fuse...
Old September 13th, 2014, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

NO NO... The car was off. But in reply to the earlier question - simply shutting everything down and restarting the car did not correct the problem. In fact, the car was parked for a while before I got the notion to go out and try it again, and then to ultimately go for the fuse...

Just had the same thing happen to my 2014 Silverado. No audio of any kind. shut it off, and immediately restarted, no luck. Waited a few minutes, tried it again and everything is working as expected...

Hopefully this isnt a normal occurrence.
Old September 13th, 2014, 8:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jashton454
Just had the same thing happen to my 2014 Silverado. No audio of any kind. shut it off, and immediately restarted, no luck. Waited a few minutes, tried it again and everything is working as expected...

Hopefully this isnt a normal occurrence.
I had bluetooth connected. I paused pandora, entered bluetooth voice commands through the steering wheel, called home via voice command..
they could hear me, but my end was silent. I tried again after and nothing happened. I tried turning up volume on the steering wheel control, and nothing happened.
Old April 27th, 2015, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default No sound on my Impala LTZ

Same thing happens to me. I shut it down and the next morning it works. How long will this last until the sound is gone for good? The fuse extraction temporary solution was interesting. I can't take it in for service when it is off and on again.
Old September 21st, 2015, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

I also have no sound and my screen goes off and on randomly. I have checked the fuses and they're fine. I took my car to the dealer due to having water in the trunk, and they didn't address the no audio/screen issue due to the car being out of warranty and said they would charge me 89.99+tax for one hour of diagnostic work just to tell me whats causing the issue. any suggestions?

thanks
Old September 23rd, 2015, 8:35 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by edgardonjuan
I also have no sound and my screen goes off and on randomly. I have checked the fuses and they're fine. I took my car to the dealer due to having water in the trunk, and they didn't address the no audio/screen issue due to the car being out of warranty and said they would charge me 89.99+tax for one hour of diagnostic work just to tell me whats causing the issue. any suggestions?

thanks
Hello Edgar,

We truly apologize for the unexpected concerns with your Impala. If you decide to bring this to the dealership's attention, we would be happy to assist. We can definitely get in touch with them, and send your information their way. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Impala 2LZ - No Sound