Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2014 Impala Apps

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2013, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation, weather, etc.

I discovered that the weather and traffic congestion features are actually supplied by XM and those features go away after the "free trial" subscription ends unless you wish to pay for them. XM told me it costs $6 a month for those features and to get them you also have to subscribe to XM itself. I'd been maintaining XM with my old '06 Impala by letting them cancel it every 6 months and then renewing for $25 for the next six months (their regular price of almost $15 a month is outrageous in my opinion). However, I am so pleased with the built-in MP3/USB flash memory music player in my new My Link system I haven't listened to XM at all and when the 3 month freebie that came with the car ends I think I'll just be done with them. Having the Bose Premium sound system it's unbelievable how AWFUL XM sounds when compared to an MP3 file-even a 128Kb one!

Meanwhile, as for the NAV system, for me it's just a cute toy to play with since I'm retired and I know exactly where I am going having lived in the same area all my life. Regarding the mapping software itself, it's quite disappointing whether updates for it will be available in the future or not. I would assume since the car is brand new that GM's map provider would have supplied the latest information. But it still lists where I live as a "town" despite being upgraded to a village IN 2007! It also fails to show an interchange on I-94 that has been open for over a year. When I exited the freeway at this interchange, the NAV system became baffled showing the car in the middle of nowhere! By comparison, Google Maps is right on showing everything in my area that is recent-and it's updates are free.

I assume that NAV updates for the MyLink system will follow the same procedure as other Chevrolet vehicles-a DVD that you have to purchase for $199 which comes out every year. My dealer did tell me that they heard a rumor that updates may be FREE and supplied through OnStar (if you maintain a valid OnStar subscription) but I haven't seen this documented anywhere else.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

I want these functions because these are the functions that Chevy advertised would be on the car on their 2014 MyLink web page. The video shows voice to text and text to voice, weather, and downloadable apps. These were all advertisements that persuaded me to buy the car.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

I agree with this alternation I think every 2014 MyLink impala ought to have weather, gas, voice to text and text to voice, and siri. AS ADVERTISED by Chevy. Sad testimony on Chevy.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

I now have a new problem with the Chevy MyLink and Front End Collision features. I use an Iphone 5S and have set favorite phone contacts on the MyLink Favorites that show up under the phone feature on the Instrument Cluster for easy selection. However, at random times, when I connect my phone these contacts will not appear on the Instrument Cluster, but they are still set in the main MyLink display. When this occurs the Front End Collision will not function, even though it is still set in the on mode. It does not matter what sensitivity setting is being used on the Front End Collision the effect is still the same.

All that is necessary to reset this condition is to turn off the car and disconnect the phone, then turn the car back on and reconnect the phone and the condition will usually reset to normal. However, it is a condition that occurs randomly and at unexpected times and needs to be fixed by Chevy.

I have had my car in the shop (Dealer) twice for this condition and it has not been fixed yet. Chevy tries to put the blame on my Iphone 5s, but it did it with my Iphone 4 too. Secondly, the Iphone is so common, one would think the car would work right with an Iphone.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Apps for Mylink

Well the APPS for my link for weather and gas are for XM in the new mylink; however the previous mylink I had rental Malibu with old mylink and I had weather/gas prices/movie times with NO navigation now you need it. If you read fine print that the text to voice and apps are for new Chevy SS and Malibu and Cruze they all still use the previous generation of Mylink;therefore those cars have more APPS. The sonic has internet tune in Radio. I had navigation in my 13 Malibu eco premium and Navigation was off a lot and when the car would say road construction ahead I saw nothing, so I didn't get it this time in my 2LT. I am not sure why this newest version of Mylink does not have capability to have apps like the weather channel or fuel prices. These features should be utilized by OnStar as more people have OnStar vs. keeping xm radio or even the Chevy navigation.. On the average car lot you would have 35 impala's or so and maybe 9 LTZ rest are LT and LS and most LT models do not have Navigation. They are just coming out now with Nav as you can NOW get nav and moon roof together when you previously could not. I think as a nice early x mas give Chevy should could come out with major update for downloadable apps to new mylink for Impala as the car has done well. And the new apps should now require the Nav system as again most impalas do not have that as that is feature slowly dying as people use phones/ or items like garmin that are updatable for free. Lets face it to pay $199.99 for disk for each update on Nav for Chevy I would pay 299.00 for full OnStar service. I mean Chevy should have done few think for LT model I think:

- I think push start should be in conv. package not Nav package as car at that price point should have it standard or in more economical package.
- Dual exhaust tips on 2lz and 2 lt only to show v6 engine.
- some sort of fog lamp on 2lt model as all other cars in Chevy line up the 2lt adds fog lamps. I hope Chevy releases the LED lights as my dealer will add them just need a kit to come out I had Chevy rep tell me now that orders of impala are dying down a little a LED kit may come out so they can ensure enough to go around as a lot of LT and LS owners would like them as those are top selling models.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Too many gadgets in cars today. More gadgets more problems. Seems like they all play the "sell now fix later" game.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Blueraymetallic2lt
Chevy should could come out with major update for downloadable apps to new mylink for Impala as the car has done well. And the new apps should now require the Nav system as again most impalas do not have that as that is feature slowly dying as people use phones/ or items like garmin that are updatable for free. Lets face it to pay $199.99 for disk for each update on Nav for Chevy I would pay 299.00 for full OnStar service. I mean Chevy should have done few think for LT model I think:

- I think push start should be in conv. package not Nav package as car at that price point should have it standard or in more economical package.
Push button start is available on the LT if you also purchase the NAV package. They are obviously unrelated since you get push button start as standard equipment in the LTZ but NAV is not.

As for APPS, that's what smartphones are for. There is already too much to play with in MyLink while driving instead of watching the road. I don't need my car to give me a weather forecast or tell me where I can get cheap gas. I can pull over and check gasbuddy.com or weather.com on my smartphone.

I can't speak for the car dealers in your area but in mine if they have 5 Impalas on the lot, 3 of them are LTZ's. And those are usually loaded (like mine) with NAV, convenience package, Bose Stereo, etc. The dealers usually have one LS with the 4 cylinder engine. I think they keep it around to talk buyers into an LT or LTZ...

Last edited by ThomasM; November 3rd, 2013 at 4:47 PM.
Old January 8th, 2014, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default No new apps for chevy mylink

Well I got confirmation today from a rep at Chevy. I have the 14 impala 2LT, but no navigation as I use OnStar Navigation. This is breakdown if you have built in Navigation which most impalas do not unless you have 2LT with it and most do not or LTZ and not all of them have it and you can get weather and movie times and fuel prices with XM radio. Old generation mylink you did not need chevy navigation for this to work. 2014 Impala will only have Pandora Radio APP. You can stream through I Heart Radio and Tune in radio using blue tooth but that's it no app for it to make Mylink more useful. Weather can be heard though onstar Virtual advisor and again no APP. The 2015 Impala will have 4LTE capability through AT&T and a APP market to install APPS. You will need to buy Data plan for car if you do not use AT&T or if you have AT&T you can add it. The 4LTE is most useful when you have people with lap tops ect they can go to internet and use Wi-Fi in car. That is cool but not useful for most if you are only one in car most of the time. The APP market will only be for 2015 and up. I think this is horrible on Chevy's part to make such a change right after new mylink was introduced in 14 Impala and lets face it the car was not cheap and older mylink seemed better, hence why in sonic and spark you can add tune in radio and mobile navigation app and older ones you can get XM travel link with out buy Chevy navigation. It makes no sense why you could have dealer load additional apps from market in to 14 impala my link system. A 4lte setup should have nothing to do with APP market it would only make apps run faster and with my iphone now I can stream I Heart radio and Tune in radio no problem so more apps should not be issue. To make current mylink Non future proof is silly and makes me mad that they just didn't redo impala for 2015. If I am incorrect in saying 14 mylink will never be updated with apps please correct me but from the rep I spoke to I think its a dead issue.
Old January 9th, 2014, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

I have to say I am disgusted by this information after being a loyal Chevy owner and purchasing the 2014 Impala with the promise of the Infotaiment system and apps being upgradable in the future now to find out that's only for people who buy the next model year. I have had nothing but great things about the new Impala But now that they have our money why go back and show some loyalty to us. We should all know that the dealership will tell you anything to sell you the car but once you drive off the lot they are done with you. Chevrolet should be ashamed of this behavior, how about showing a little customer appreciation to all who brought the 2014 Impala and made it as popular as it is today.

How many of you were told by the dealership that the infotainment system would be upgradable with all cool apps they talked about. Does this mean no Siri integration or iOS in the car also?

As much as I still love my car I just feel ripped off and betrayed right now
Old January 10th, 2014, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

I am mad too bud. I didn't buy navigation as it's never accurate. I think weather apps, ect should be added as car still has gps because of onstar. All ford sync systems with and without nav have apps and u can update system through USB port. Go on fords website they just released update. So why is chevy lacking . If u read with new system u need AT&T data plan for car for non AT&T customers and for AT&T customer u add plan. You font need 4lte for app market. Gm u say u listen to customers we listen and up mylink with and without nav in 14 impala.

Quick Reply: 2014 Impala Apps