Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2014 Impala Charging System

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2016, 5:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

one possibility:
what is the ambient temp right now where you live? Its -21*C when I am and my system is charging at 15.2volts when cruising of the highway.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 7:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way colder where you are. Its about +40F here
Old February 24th, 2016, 5:23 AM
CF Beginner

Old February 25th, 2016, 10:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Hi everyone, just noticed replies. Now having had our car for a year, I can say with absolute certainty there is absolutely no way to "guess" what mode the charging system will be in at any point. -other than maybe for the short time after start-up. I sincerely hope the engineers got it right, and this sophisticated multi-mode system will in fact result in increased reliability and longer battery life. (personally, I have my doubts,,,) Time will tell.

callen65, my thoughts are this: Keep checking it on a regular basis, and let us know what it does. Looking at the chart, yours certainly has been operating at the high end of the "charge" mode, for whatever reason. I'm wondering what is the typical driving pattern for your car?

I sure bet that "they" regret having given us owners "battery voltage" display as one of the options on the D.I.C. !! I wonder if they dropped it on the 2016??

Oh, a further comment: From my perspective, the battery voltage will not be affected by how much load you place on the system. The delcotron generator is obviously a high output unit, and can easily handle any load you place on it. The charging system voltage is totally determined by the complex computer algorithm they have engineered into it.

Of course, that assumes you have no component failures,,,,
Old February 25th, 2016, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Typical driving is back and forth to work 5days a week. mostly highway 17 miles each way. And on the weekend it gets a 300 mile round trip on Saturday or Sunday. So it gets drivin enough that the battery should be fully charged. I dont think it should ever be charging over 15 volts.
Old February 26th, 2016, 11:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Given your typical driving patterns, I certainly agree with you. It sure seems that something is not "normal." I think if it were mine, the next thing I'd do is to take it to a "reputable" shop (or even an auto parts store, assuming you can find one with people that know something) -one that can do a bona fide legitimate battery "load" test. And by that I mean a test that can measure, or at least estimate an approximate level of sulfation (state of charge, and or charge capability) of the battery.

And I truly wish you well in trying to find anyone that actually knows anything meaningful about batteries!!

At this point I have to wonder if your charging system thinks it is "seeing" a battery that is in a sulfated condition? -and is kicking the voltage up attempting to remove the sulfation? I wish we could find a description on what we will see when it is operating in the "sulfation mode."

Does your dealer's service department seem helpful?
Old January 29th, 2022, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Impala Charging System Over Charging

When I start my 2014 Impala the DIC shows 14.7. Then it creeps up to 15.1 to 15.2 where it stays until I shut it down. My ODBII reader says that it is charging too high and damaging my battery. The dealer disagrees but this is my third battery to prove them wrong. When I test my battery my ODBII tells me to charge my battery first. This is after driving 700 miles charging at 15.1. I monitor it constantly and it is always high.

Originally Posted by ThomasM
I traded in my 2006 Impala SS for a brand new 2014 2LTZ. I love it!!

The 2006 never seemed to charge the battery enough so I had to hook up a trickle charger if I wasn't going to be using the car for a number of days.

The 2014 is just the opposite. In my opinion it OVERCHARGES the battery-it normally sits at 14.6-14.9 volts!! I measured it using an accurate voltmeter connected to one of the accessory lighter plug outlets AND verified it using the INFO section of the DIC (which, of all things, lets you view battery voltage, coolant temperature and other things long missing from instrument panels).

The dealer's laughable answer was "that's controlled by the computer". Uh-huh.

If anyone with a 2014 Impala could take a minute, I'd really appreciate what the battery voltage meter in the INFO section of the DIC is reading on your car.

Thanks!!