Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2015 Impala headlights stink! Any aftermarket mods?

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2016, 10:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2015 Impala headlights stink! Any aftermarket mods?

The headlights on the 2015 (and, probably 2014) Impala do a lousy job of illuminating the road. They throw out a nice focused beam straight ahead but they don't illuminate anything to the sides. On interstates it's difficult to read the road signs and on dark country roads they don't properly illuminate the shoulders and make it impossible to see where to turn on side roads. I've talked to several other owners and they feel the same.
Do any of you know of any mods or supplemental lighting that might solve the problem? And, no, a light bar bolted to the roof is not an acceptable solution.
Old March 30th, 2016, 11:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Impala is 2000 so it has crappy headlights too, but I'm not sure what "stock" is for 2015.

A quick google search for "2015 Impala HID kit" will get you started, even LED's come up with that search. For me the Impala is a winter car so I probably won't be putting new lights in until the fall so sorry I can't recommend anything too specific, but I can say HID's would be the better choice if you live in the north because LED's don't give off enough heat (actually none) to keep ice from forming on the lens while you drive in the winter.
Old April 5th, 2016, 2:19 PM
CF Junior Member

The straight ahead lighting is acceptable (sort of). The worst problem is side illumination. It is very difficult to see side roads when turning and roadside signs. What I need is something that will throw more light to the sides so I don't think just changing headlight bulbs will do it.
Old April 5th, 2016, 2:40 PM
CF Active Member

As I said, not sure what stock is for 2015, but those HID kits are more than just a way better bulb. You'll have to look at the dispersion patterns for the different reflectors in the kits, but side illumination will always be limited on the left (assuming you're in N.A.) so as not to blind oncoming traffic.

There is a parkway I drive on a few nights a week and in the Impala I'm lucky if I can see the road for 30', but my '99 BMW with HID I can clearly see probably 100' ahead as well as the right shoulder and across the other lane about 20' - huge difference.
Old November 26th, 2016, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default Replacement Bulbs From PUTCO improve Impala headlights, but not perfect

I have the same problem, as do several other owners of the new Impala model I know. I was ready to trade the car but decided to try replacement bulbs first. I ordered bulbs by PUTCO 239012DW. It gives improved distance, brighter headlights and improved lateral lighting. It gets the lights to about halfway to what they should be. Disappointing to buy a car you cannot drive after dark!
Old November 27th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

2015 use hid lighting systems. The lights must be focused to pass federal laws. Impalas have a forward adaptive lighting option. This will move the headlamp left or right when turning.

check to see if you have the option and its not turned off in the dic. If you don't have it, contact the dealer to see if the option can be added by the dealer....even if they can add it....it won't be cheap.
Old June 27th, 2022, 9:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Since I posted that about the lousy headlights on my 2015 Impala I added a couple of LED driving lights in the grill. It's better, but still not as good as the lights on my GMC truck and my Subaru. Now I'm seeing al kinds of LED replacement "bulbs" for the Impala's original halogen headlights. Reviews vary all over. Has anyone tried them? If so, are they a real improvement over the halogens? Can you recommend a brand? Amazon seems to have dozens.