Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2016 Impala Trunk Randomly Opens While Driving

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2019, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 Impala Trunk Randomly Opens While Driving

I have 2016 Impala LT with 100,000 miles on it. Yesterday as I was driving the trunk randomly popped open and a warning came up on my screen. I could not get the latch to work and bungy corded it shut and made it home. Once the car was shut off, I was able to manually open and close the trunk and got it to stay latched. I hopped back in to start the car up and back it out of the shed and the trunk immediately popped back open. Shut the car off, was able to open and close the trunk again. Started the car back up, I heard this rapid fire clicking for about 10 seconds and my trunk popped open. It sounded like someone was hitting the trunk release button but no one was. Any ideas?
The following users liked this post:
Stranger323 (September 29th, 2021)
Old June 16th, 2019, 7:51 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Bad trunk release button probably.
Old June 16th, 2019, 1:51 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

not sure about that year but i know on my 04 you cant use the button to pop the truck unless the car is in park.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an issue with a 2019 Impala that just started today. When the windshield wipers are activated the trunk opens. I normally wouldn't hesitate to take it in for warranty, however, the car was in a front end collision and although repaired correctly by a Chevy dealer my dealer seems to want to pin anything that doesn't work on the accident. Everything electrical in the car seems to function normally and for the life of me can't see any correlation between the two functions. Eventually if I can't figure this out I will have no option but to take it in and see what they say. Any ideas??
Old September 29th, 2021, 11:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hoffmrac
I have 2016 Impala LT with 100,000 miles on it. Yesterday as I was driving the trunk randomly popped open and a warning came up on my screen. I could not get the latch to work and bungy corded it shut and made it home. Once the car was shut off, I was able to manually open and close the trunk and got it to stay latched. I hopped back in to start the car up and back it out of the shed and the trunk immediately popped back open. Shut the car off, was able to open and close the trunk again. Started the car back up, I heard this rapid fire clicking for about 10 seconds and my trunk popped open. It sounded like someone was hitting the trunk release button but no one was. Any ideas?
I have this exact same problem, when unlocking my doors with my remote it randomly opens. I was also unable to get it to close, had to mess around for it for a while to get it to closed. Has happened several times, sometimes it opens randomly while driving. Did you get any solution to this problem? Appreciate it.
Old August 11th, 2023, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Stranger323
I have this exact same problem, when unlocking my doors with my remote it randomly opens. I was also unable to get it to close, had to mess around for it for a while to get it to closed. Has happened several times, sometimes it opens randomly while driving. Did you get any solution to this problem? Appreciate it.
I'm having the same issue, were you able to solve your problem?? Thanks!

Last edited by bwash; August 11th, 2023 at 3:14 PM.