Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

61 Implala upper steering coupling

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2011, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 61 Implala upper steering coupling

Inside the coupling under the bearings the manual says there are a couple of "wave washers" to tension the bearings. I don't remember removing any wave washers and there really isn't clearance for them. I don't see any wear pattern where there were any in there. Does anyone know if these were on every model?
Old September 4th, 2011, 4:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

These are more like a "plate" as big as the coupling, not like what you'd think a washer would be underneath a screw. Those things are an adaptor to the steering rod.
Old September 4th, 2011, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure what you mean. If you are referring to the nickel sized plug in the bottom of the bell shaped housing, that is not what I asked. The steering shaft has two ***** at the lower end that go into a bell shaped housing. There are two square bearings that sit on the *****. These bearings slip into grooves in the bell shaped housing. Under these bearings are shown to be little washers approximately 1/4" in diameter. These push the bearings out as a thrust bearing would push on whatever it is supposed to load. Did all of these come with those little wavy washers?