Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Backup Camera Question

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2015, 7:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Backup Camera Question

While I've had my 2014 2LTZ for about a year and a half now, I encountered something with my Impala today that I don't know if it is working as designed,if it is broken or just needs a setting change. We were expecting company to visit today at our house so I was moving the cars around to take up less space and make more room for company. As I was backing the Impala up in front of my Tahoe I was glanced at the center console to see my progress and how close I was to the Tahoe. To my surprise the license plate on my Tahoe was visible but was being displayed as a reverse image. It was the same as if I was looking in a mirror. Is this the way it is supposed to work? I expect a reverse image from a mirror to be a reverse image by its nature. But a backup camera I expected to view an image as seen. When you take a picture with your camera it isn't in a reverse image. Does everyone else's work like this?
Old June 1st, 2015, 4:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's like looking in your rear view mirror. If it wasn't - it would be more confusing, no?

When the rear side collision alerts go off they make sense to me.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:02 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
It's like looking in your rear view mirror. If it wasn't - it would be more confusing, no?

When the rear side collision alerts go off they make sense to me.
Yes, it's exactly like looking in your rear view mirror. I was thinking of it in terms of a camera.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 5:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank3
Yes, it's exactly like looking in your rear view mirror. I was thinking of it in terms of a camera.
But it's looking behind you - not in front of you.