Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Blinking SRS 7 times then OFF. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2016, 6:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds a lot like the guy I know that swore seatbelts were a joke who just happens to be in a wheel chair now from being thrown out of his pickup when he rolled, I guess to each their own I just hope you atleast let anyone that rides with you know that you've disabled things designed to protect them.

When I was in middle school I had a friend that removed the brake from his scooter and never told me until the day I borrowed it and left skin halfway down the hill, lesson learned I guess.
Old January 10th, 2016, 12:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tech2
ha... to funny.
I do feel like a good debate though
name calling will get u banned. banned before yes?

You did not post a question. You made a statement that may of had some merit when airbags were first introduced 25 years ago. Engineers have addressed these issues and crash test data from both low and high speed collisions confirm this.
readers without knowledge of modern pps and dual stage system operation may take your post as fact. This is what I challenge.

You most certainly can have an opinion. Sometimes, you may even get a response on a public internet forum.
When did I call anyone names? I posted MANY questions on IF, and even one on here, which have never been answered. For example, I have asked on here and on IF what the turn signal wire colours are on a 2001 Impala, never got a answer. A simple Google search has pages upon pages of results where airbags were the sole and ONLY thing that injured someone, and I am not talking about children or malfunctioning airbags. here is a couple of examples of injuries airbags CAN (and in the case of 1st hand knowledge DO) Cause:
Cardiac and Pulmonary Injuries with airbags

Air bags can cause significant cardiac and pulmonary injuries. In this article, “Airbag Deployment Can Cause ‘Hidden’ Cardiac Injuries”, it is stated that airbag deployment can cause injuries such as aortic transection, tricuspid-valve injury, right atrial rupture, cardiac contusion, MI, aortic-valve avulsion, cardiac tamponade, and hemopericardium. These injuries may not be readily apparent after an accident. It is very important that you ask your doctor about these potential injuries after a motor vehicle accident.
Rib and Sternal Fractures with air bags

The blunt force trauma to the chest which often occurs after an airbag deploys can be a significant injury. The injury can lead to pathological fracture, no lie. A pathological fracture is one that weakens the bone and leads to long term problems keeping the bone strong and intact. A pathological fracture is a very serious injury that can lead to long term health problems. It will also dramatically increase the amount you should ask for in a personal injury settlement. If you do have a chest fracture of any kind you should consult with your doctor as to whether or not the fracture will lead to a weakening of the bone.
Airbags are inflated as quickly as they are based off of a chemical reaction. Heat is needed to generate the combustion of air that fills the airbag. For that reason the inhalation of chemicals can cause serious medical problems. This study, “Airbag pneumonits: a report and discussion of a new clinical entity” details the story of a young man who developed shortness of breath and mild pneumonia after inhaling chemicals from a deployed airbag.

Another danger is the gas emitted from an airbag after its deployment. An airbag’s material allows for chemicals to flow through the fabric and into the vehicle after an accident. These gasses can lead to chemical burns and the onset of asthmatic like symptoms. The most dangerous situations occur when the driver or passenger remains in the vehicle for a longer amount of time after the accident. This generally occurs when a driver or passenger is unconscious from the accident and is left in the car for a significant amount of time.
And just a FYI Airbag history dates back to 1941, the 1st airbags were installed in Ford and GM vehicles in the 1970s but were discontinued in 1977 due to lack of interest in the product. So airbags were introduced well over 60 years ago, technically.

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
sounds a lot like the guy I know that swore seatbelts were a joke who just happens to be in a wheel chair now from being thrown out of his pickup when he rolled, I guess to each their own I just hope you atleast let anyone that rides with you know that you've disabled things designed to protect them.

When I was in middle school I had a friend that removed the brake from his scooter and never told me until the day I borrowed it and left skin halfway down the hill, lesson learned I guess.
Back when seatbelts were introduced, they were all but life-saving, It has been known that lap belts (before the shoulder strap came about) (i.e back seats) were so unsafe, that there are reports of the seatbelt actually cutting people in half, no lie. Yes, I tell EVERYONE, regardless if they ever ride in my car, that the Air Bags are disabled. The reason MODERN airbags are even moreso dangerous than the ones of the 90s? Because MODERN airbags are designed for the small percentage of people who DO NOT wear their seatbelts. The bad thing about this is, they actually INJURE the majority of people who wear seatbelts. (again Goggle search will show this). It's actually written in the law specifically that vehicle owners are 100% legally allowed to disable their airbags. And you are NOT required to tell anyone who rides in the car that they are disabled. Not sure if the truth in that federal law will fly in areas where annual inspections are required however.

Last edited by LeoTheLion89; January 10th, 2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old January 10th, 2016, 8:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Mass Industry use began in the late 80's and I thought that is what we were discussing.

NaN3 is used only in the driver side airbag. It does generate heat but that heat never reaches the driver. the airbag is already deflating by the time the driver hits it. the only precipitate in the air is talcum powder, I inhaled it everyday raising my baby.
the back of the air bag module I have measured 160*C immediately after deployment.
Some people may have a reaction to NaN3 but incidence rate is lower than the average populations to that of a vaccine. So maybe you have a rash for a few days but your not in a wheelchair.

Rib Fractures
research the timing events of air bags and seatbelts. the systems are designed to work together. when seatbelts are not buckled, it mistimes the proper functioning of the system. That is a user failure not a design problem.
So what is the alternative, my co-worker is a firefighter. the one story that I will never forget if that of a driver who wasn't wearing a seatbelt and hit the steering wheel. he went to do chest compressions but the entire sternum was broken at every rib. An airbag at full force, even hitting it at the wrong time...still safer that a steering wheel.

The information I have presented is not mine but rather from motive power industry training.
Maybe this thread will raise airbag safety awareness.

Last edited by tech2; January 10th, 2016 at 8:06 AM.
Old January 10th, 2016, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mass Industry use began in the late 80's and I thought that is what we were discussing.

NaN3 is used only in the driver side airbag. It does generate heat but that heat never reaches the driver. the airbag is already deflating by the time the driver hits it. the only precipitate in the air is talcum powder, I inhaled it everyday raising my baby.
the back of the air bag module I have measured 160*C immediately after deployment.
Some people may have a reaction to NaN3 but incidence rate is lower than the average populations to that of a vaccine. So maybe you have a rash for a few days but your not in a wheelchair.

Rib Fractures
research the timing events of air bags and seatbelts. the systems are designed to work together. when seatbelts are not buckled, it mistimes the proper functioning of the system. That is a user failure not a design problem.
So what is the alternative, my co-worker is a firefighter. the one story that I will never forget if that of a driver who wasn't wearing a seatbelt and hit the steering wheel. he went to do chest compressions but the entire sternum was broken at every rib. An airbag at full force, even hitting it at the wrong time...still safer that a steering wheel.

The information I have presented is not mine but rather from motive power industry training.
Maybe this thread will raise airbag safety awareness.
The information I provided wasn't mine either, it was from Peterson Law Offices out of Oregon. However, how do explain the fact that Modern airbags injure drivers who are wearing seatbelts because the bags are designed for those who don't?
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

airbags aren't designed for people who don't wear seatbelts, the whole point of sir/srs/orc systems is to work together collectively to prevent you from flying around and into objects.

I can already tell this is an open ended never ending "debate". Drinking too much water can be dangerous I guess we better quit drinking it huh?
Old January 10th, 2016, 9:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LeoTheLion89
Modern airbags injure drivers who are wearing seatbelts because the bags are designed for those who don't?
why that statement is false...

the airbag module monitors these inputs: vehicle speed, seat position, occupant weight and if the occupant is wearing a seatbelt. From this data, the system will determines if a stage 1 or stage 2 deployment occurs.

the system works best with seatbelts...why...because they have the crash event timed out....the airbag should be deflating by the time the occupant hits it...with no seatbelt you hit it too soon. the pretentioner is designed to take up seatbelt slack and slow your momentum into the airbag.
The engineers had to enhance the new systems for dum dums that do not wear seat belts...hence all the new sensors.

what's next friend?

Last edited by tech2; January 11th, 2016 at 6:49 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old January 11th, 2016, 9:08 PM
CF Active Member

Didn't I say not to get him started?

Originally Posted by LeoTheLion89
The information I provided wasn't mine either, it was from Peterson Law Offices out of Oregon. However, how do explain the fact that Modern airbags injure drivers who are wearing seatbelts because the bags are designed for those who don't?
Because lawyers are always so trustworthy...a group that can take a set of facts and convincingly twist them to make 1 person for and then twist the other way to make another person against. I'm guessing that information was fabricated for a lawsuit to make something with a 0.00001% chance of happening into something everybody should fear as having a 99.99999% chance of happening.
Old January 12th, 2016, 8:32 AM
Super Moderator

everyone can have an opinion. As long as they can present a logical argument based on fact...more power to them.

there are always small instances that in which any safety system will work against you. If I was upside down n a burning truck...you better believe getting that button pressed to release the seatbelt buckle, with all your weight on it; will be a challenge. For the other 99.9% of collisions, I want the seat belt on.