Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Car has a vibration or shudder

Old July 30th, 2014, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car has a vibration or shudder

2013 Impala LT has a slight vibration or shudders at around 40 MPH, not sure where to start for troubleshooting on it. At first I thought it was the road, then I thought it was an alignment problem (although the shop I took it to had to adjust the toe on both of the front wheels and 1 of the back ones), but the problem also seems to be random.

Just give me some ideas where to start.

Thanks
Old July 31st, 2014, 8:21 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi rasparks0967,

Sorry to hear of this vibration concern with your vehicle! We would be happy to follow up with your dealership regarding the concern and assist in a resolution. Feel free to send us a private message and include your name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and name of involved dealership so we may help. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 31st, 2014, 10:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Check your tires and rims. Rebalance
Old August 5th, 2014, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

I agree....check the tires and wheels.
Old August 13th, 2014, 7:25 PM
CF Beginner

Took the car to the dealer today, had an alignment done by them and had them check to see what the cause of the vibration is, they did a rotate and balance on the wheels, they had to remove the tire(s) from the wheel(s) and had to turn them on the wheel to get them in balance. Now for the question, the car tire plate shows 30 psi, the tires have 35 to 36psi in them, is this normal, or should I lower the pressure back down to 30 psi.
Old August 15th, 2014, 6:38 AM
CF Beginner

Anybody got any recommendations for where I should go for an answer, or do I just follow the vehicle plate inside the door.

Also, although the vibration has been minimized, the car feels as thought it shimmys in the front end (like the wheels are loose).
Old August 15th, 2014, 10:01 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to eliminate the problem, check for a stuck/frozen brake caliper. I had a similar problem with an Olds I had once owned. I ended up going to some tool outlet, getting one of those cheap infrared non-contact temperature meters, then after a drive home checking the temperature of the brake rotors. I found one that was almost double in temp over the other ones. This had driven me nuts for a while in finding it. Replacing the caliper fixed it in my case.
Old October 9th, 2014, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

I found my problem, I had a tire replaced because of a screw and nail in it that caused it to be non-repairable, the car had a worse problem then, so I went to Goodyear and bought 3 more and the problem is gone now.