Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Dealership Says They Can’t Fix the Recall

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2021, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership Says They Can’t Fix the Recall

I have a 2003 Chevy Impala with the recalled ignition switch. When I took it to the Chevrolet dealership to get the recall fixed, they tried for a while and then told me they couldn’t do it because I had an aftermarket key. The key I have requires a lot of jiggling to get it to turn and can be removed while the car is running. Is there really no way for them to replace the ignition switch?
Old July 12th, 2021, 4:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

I assume it's not an aftermarket ignition?? Seems they should replace the switch, keyed to your original locks and get you new keys as well.
Old July 12th, 2021, 6:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

I would ask for a better explanation of why they can't destroy the old one and install the modified one, sounds a little fishey to me.
Try another dealership.
Old July 12th, 2021, 9:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

ignition switch recall 14123 requires gm to inspect the ignition switch and check the part # on the switch. Gm has identified bad ignition switches they have made. This recall would not apply if an aftermarket switch installed. What key you have is irrelevant.

if you are saying the switch can't be checked as the key can't be turned to remove it.....have a new key cut from a code and try it. DO NOT TRACE THE OLD KEY or you will have the same problem.
Old July 13th, 2021, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
ignition switch recall 14123 requires gm to inspect the ignition switch and check the part # on the switch. Gm has identified bad ignition switches they have made. This recall would not apply if an aftermarket switch installed. What key you have is irrelevant.

if you are saying the switch can't be checked as the key can't be turned to remove it.....have a new key cut from a code and try it. DO NOT TRACE THE OLD KEY or you will have the same problem.
I have an aftermarket key and the original ignition switch. The key can be turned if it is wiggled a lot and then the car starts just fine. The dealership said they couldn’t do it because of the aftermarket key.
Old July 13th, 2021, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hanky
I would ask for a better explanation of why they can't destroy the old one and install the modified one, sounds a little fishey to me.
Try another dealership.
I will go to another dealership and if they tell me they can’t do it I will ask for more details.
Old July 13th, 2021, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Caleb02
I have an aftermarket key and the original ignition switch. The key can be turned if it is wiggled a lot and then the car starts just fine. The dealership said they couldn’t do it because of the aftermarket key.
how was the aftermarket key cut...traced or cut from a code. If you traced it...its junk....try a new key cut from a code.
Old July 15th, 2021, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
how was the aftermarket key cut...traced or cut from a code. If you traced it...its junk....try a new key cut from a code.
I don’t know. I just got the car a few months ago and I didn’t ask the previous owner. The key does look fairly worn though.