Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

HELP!!!! "Starter disabled, service throttle" Message

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2016, 6:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoever you are I don't need you to tell me how to respond or leave comments. How do you even know I saw his comment? Try minding your own business I feel like you're trying to be sarcastic by posting that.
Old April 5th, 2016, 2:59 PM
CF Active Member

JimK's comment was the last comment in the thread before you posted so how did you not see it? It was posted 6 months before yours so you can't say he posted while you were typing yours. So if you aren't reading the thread before posting I guess you are assuming that you have the solution that nobody else came up with in 4 years since the original post - great job.

Was that sarcastic enough?
Old April 5th, 2016, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

Actually i didn't see it i dont read every single response I put what I discovered not what Jim discovered but regardless why are you so concerned with what I said? If you dont like my response ignore it simple as that. Get a life guy you must have nothing else to do other than start **** with strangers.
Old April 6th, 2016, 12:11 AM
CF Active Member

People write stuff on these forums so others can read and learn from it and pass that help on to others in the future. Not every post has the correct response but you won't know that without reading every one of them. And it isn't as if this thread was that long before your first post in it, there is only 8 posts and 2 of them are just Chevy customer service apologizing (hint: unless their post is directed at you there is no usable information contained in them).

As for you not seeing JimK's post, I actually assumed that hence the sarcasm. The reality is although you go postal over a little sarcasm, my comment may still be helpful to a future noob wondering what it means when someone just posts "+1".

Now since these last few posts are not really being helpful to anyone and have nothing to do with the topic of the thread how about we call a truce and leave this thread alone?
Old June 11th, 2016, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with my 2009 Chevy Impala, I drive on the highway multiple times a week and it does it nearly every time. It's scary but it's my only form of transportation right now. Are there answers as to what it could be?
Old September 16th, 2016, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2009 Impala

My 2009 Impala displayed a "service traction control, engine power reduced" message. This would happen once a day for a few days. While driving just now my engine shut off and the "starting disabled, throttle...." message appeared. I was able to start the car after a few tries but am now afraid to go anywhere. This is extremely unsafe with a child and pregnant woman in the car! This has to be covered under a recall. This is my families only vehicle and this presents a major problem!
Old October 13th, 2016, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem and it's extremely scary. My wife and I almost got killed when the car just shut off in the middle of the highway while it was raining. Normally, I can pop it in neutral and restart it but not this time. There's got to be a better way for the car to shut itself down to save the engine... idk maybe give me a warning so I can safely get off the road?? Anyway, enough venting and here are the details. 2006 Impala, we've dumped almost $2,000 into trying to fix this for the past several months. We can't drive the car for more than 30 minutes without the messages "Engine Power Reduced" and "Service Traction Control" coming on. About 10% of the time the message "Starter Disabled" comes on and we're really screwed. When any of these happen we can normally just turn the car off and let it sit for with the hood propped open for 30 minutes or longer and then it's fine. Engine light comes on and off but it's usually on. The codes form the OBD II are usually: P1516 and P2135. I've taken it to 5 different mechanics and have heard a range of different things and I've had the throttle position sensor, gas peddle sensor (don't remember the technical name) and all the wiring in between tested.. they've told me it's well within it's parameters. No idea what to do to fix this. I know I need to go to a GM dealership but I'm just looking for any input I can. I really don't have the time to keep spending every day I have off at a mechanic just to find out nothing can be done and get charged for it. Thanks all!
Old February 26th, 2017, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I own a 2010 chevy impala and was wondering if anybody found a fix that actually worked. I am also having the issue of starting disabled service throttle and then the car dies.

Last edited by Michelle Nygaard; February 26th, 2017 at 7:36 PM. Reason: Change
The following users liked this post:
DetroitBless313 (February 19th, 2022)
Old February 27th, 2017, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by micahroy08
I'm having the same problem and it's extremely scary. My wife and I almost got killed when the car just shut off in the middle of the highway while it was raining. Normally, I can pop it in neutral and restart it but not this time. There's got to be a better way for the car to shut itself down to save the engine... idk maybe give me a warning so I can safely get off the road?? Anyway, enough venting and here are the details. 2006 Impala, we've dumped almost $2,000 into trying to fix this for the past several months. We can't drive the car for more than 30 minutes without the messages "Engine Power Reduced" and "Service Traction Control" coming on. About 10% of the time the message "Starter Disabled" comes on and we're really screwed. When any of these happen we can normally just turn the car off and let it sit for with the hood propped open for 30 minutes or longer and then it's fine. Engine light comes on and off but it's usually on. The codes form the OBD II are usually: P1516 and P2135. I've taken it to 5 different mechanics and have heard a range of different things and I've had the throttle position sensor, gas peddle sensor (don't remember the technical name) and all the wiring in between tested.. they've told me it's well within it's parameters. No idea what to do to fix this. I know I need to go to a GM dealership but I'm just looking for any input I can. I really don't have the time to keep spending every day I have off at a mechanic just to find out nothing can be done and get charged for it. Thanks all!
Hi.. Did you ever get your problem fixed? My Saturn is having an identical issue. Driving anywhere with my children terrifies me and I have $2000 in on this problem already.

Thank you.
Old April 4th, 2017, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

I just had the same thing happen to me on my 2007 Lucerne and was almost rear ended.This has to some kind of recall issue.
Never the less,It's very dangerous and what is the fix???

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! "Starter disabled, service throttle" Message