Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

HELP!!!! "Starter disabled, service throttle" Message

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2017, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had this happen yesterday, 06 Nov 2017, with my 2006 Monte Carlo SS, 84K miles. I was fortunate as my car started after about 5 minutes but it stopped at a red light on an active road so needless to say folks were not happy with me being stranded right there. I noticed searching on the error message "starting disabled service throttle" had a lot of hits but almost nil feedback on any resolution. The GM/Chevy moderators provided no useful information about the issue and just tell you to take your car to a dealer. I was not inclined to do that after seeing all the money people spent on repairs and truly did not get their problem resolved.

After about 2 hours of searching the Internet I ran across an answer I thought made the most sense. I saw a few references this problem is probably an electrical issue. Doing more research along these lines replacing the accelerator pedal sensor seemed to work in many cases. In my case for my 2006 Monte Carlo SS, it is the accelerator pedal assembly. Today is day one...the check engine light is gone, everything is working, and now I just need to drive it for a few days before I am satisfied all is good. I bought the part from AutoZone for about $70. It was not hard to replace and I found a YouTube video that it explained how to replace the part by searching 2006 Monte Carlo accelerator pedal sensor. I hope remember to come back and leave feedback on how the "fix" went since very few have left any feedback on how their issue was fixed.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Rich Marks; November 7th, 2017 at 3:35 PM. Reason: fix some spelling and grammar
Old November 8th, 2017, 6:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally after keeping the car for 7 days The dealer replaced the Power train Control Module.(P.C.M.) Basically the
vehicles main computer.This was on June the 8th 2017.As of this date there are no other issues.Although one week
after replacing the PCM.i had to replace the battery.Car would not start at all.$200 later and so far, no further issues....
So far... P.S.The P.C.M. cost $850 Installed

Last edited by Dave Yarkovsky; November 8th, 2017 at 6:20 AM.
Old November 8th, 2017, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

I forgot to add that when I went to loosen the screw holding the accelerator speed sensor assembly, the screws were loose enough for me to unscrew without using a wrench. I just use a socket on the end of an extension. I am not sure if this made any difference but I wonder if I tightened the screws perhaps this might have helped. Since I had the new part, I decided that was the better "fix".
Old December 15th, 2017, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Since I replaced the accelerator pedal assembly my car has worked fine. Replacing the accelerator pedal assembly was simple. This is what worked for my issue. Best of luck to anyone with a similar issue.
The following users liked this post:
talliamay (August 9th, 2023)
Old October 5th, 2020, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default starting disabled service throttle

I have had this message pop up while driving my 2009 Chevy Impala and my car just dies. I loose all steering and coke to a stop and then I have to sit there for at least a few minutes before I can try to start my car. I’ve had this happen at a busy intersection and not been able to move. I’ve taken into a dealership and they were not able to see what the problem was, but obviously there is a problem if other people are having the same issue. Someone please tell me how to fix this!
The following users liked this post:
talliamay (August 9th, 2023)
Old October 22nd, 2020, 8:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From what you’ve described, it sounds like you have a problem with your electronic throttle control system. Make sure your battery is good, if it is you may need to replace your throttle control valve to fix this issue in particular. In order to avoid any unnecessary repairs, consider having a technician further
diagnose the staring issue at the convenience of your home. Best of luck.
Old November 11th, 2022, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by micahroy08
I'm having the same problem and it's extremely scary. My wife and I almost got killed when the car just shut off in the middle of the highway while it was raining. Normally, I can pop it in neutral and restart it but not this time. There's got to be a better way for the car to shut itself down to save the engine... idk maybe give me a warning so I can safely get off the road?? Anyway, enough venting and here are the details. 2006 Impala, we've dumped almost $2,000 into trying to fix this for the past several months. We can't drive the car for more than 30 minutes without the messages "Engine Power Reduced" and "Service Traction Control" coming on. About 10% of the time the message "Starter Disabled" comes on and we're really screwed. When any of these happen we can normally just turn the car off and let it sit for with the hood propped open for 30 minutes or longer and then it's fine. Engine light comes on and off but it's usually on. The codes form the OBD II are usually: P1516 and P2135. I've taken it to 5 different mechanics and have heard a range of different things and I've had the throttle position sensor, gas peddle sensor (don't remember the technical name) and all the wiring in between tested.. they've told me it's well within it's parameters. No idea what to do to fix this. I know I need to go to a GM dealership but I'm just looking for any input I can. I really don't have the time to keep spending every day I have off at a mechanic just to find out nothing can be done and get charged for it. Thanks all!
Having the same issue for my 2011 Impala.
Old August 9th, 2023, 6:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cannonball713
My 2009 Impala displayed a "service traction control, engine power reduced" message. This would happen once a day for a few days. While driving just now my engine shut off and the "starting disabled, throttle...." message appeared. I was able to start the car after a few tries but am now afraid to go anywhere. This is extremely unsafe with a child and pregnant woman in the car! This has to be covered under a recall. This is my families only vehicle and this presents a major problem!

This same thing happened to me last night. i own a 2009 Impala LS, and it’s my first car. I was driving home, luckily it was pretty late so I wasn’t at risk for hitting anyone. Nonetheless, I go around a turn and all of a sudden I hear a ding ding ding, and there’s a traction control light on and a warning on my dash. I immediately call my dad because I’m freaking out, like I said this is my first car, and it was just very scary. He stays on the phone with me and tells me to drive home, I don’t think he’s seen anything like this either. I get a little farther up the road and all of a sudden I get a "starting disabled service throttle " I couldn’t steer, I couldn’t stop. I am screaming/yelling at my dad that I can’t stop. After it sat there for a few minutes, my dad was able to trick it into starting, but since we already had a tow on the way, we just let it be. We think it’s the TPS and the pedal. With the number of people in this forum, it should be a recall and it should be getting fixed for free. This is incredibly unsafe, and I don’t know that I will buy another Chevy after this one. It was so scary, and I am a lucky one who was able to be driving on a dead road with no one else around.