Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Impala trunk opens randomly by itself

Old July 24th, 2015, 8:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the trunk open several times myself. I thought I "could live with it". However, a couple days ago it did it again. This time it was raining and did not find out until I went out to work in the morning. It took me quite a while to get everything mopped up and dried out. We made an appointment for the car to get it programmed and my wife went there today. First the service manager said he searched and searched and could find no such information about re-programming the remote to require a 2 second press to activate. He then said he would get his best man on it. about 10-15 minutes later his best man came back saying there was no such thing or programming available as well. How do I get this initiated, is there a special identifying process code or information I can tell the dealer to refer to?

Last edited by Frank3; July 25th, 2015 at 7:40 AM.
Old July 25th, 2015, 7:54 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank3
I've had the trunk open several times myself. I thought I "could live with it". However, a couple days ago it did it again. This time it was raining and did not find out until I went out to work in the morning. It took me quite a while to get everything mopped up and dried out. We made an appointment for the car to get it programmed and my wife went there today. First the service manager said he searched and searched and could find no such information about re-programming the remote to require a 2 second press to activate. He then said he would get his best man on it. about 10-15 minutes later his best man came back saying there was no such thing or programming available as well. How do I get this initiated, is there a special identifying process code or information I can tell the dealer to refer to?
Hi Frank,

We can definitely reach out to your dealership about your trunk. Just message us your VIN, mileage, contact information, and dealership name. Once we do a bit of research on our end we'll touch base with both you and the dealership on our findings. Hope to hear from you soon!

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 29th, 2015, 8:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank3
Here:

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/imp...e3/#post267439
Old July 30th, 2015, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2014 Chevy Impala Trunk opens on it's own...

Originally Posted by dandd7598
I've experienced this same issue. I've walked out to my car at shopping malls, work, home and my trunk is open. Is there a way to program the fob so you have to hit the trunk button 2-3 times before it opens?
The Chevy form was quick and very helpful. They contacted my local dealer with the trunk issue and I scheduled an appointment for them to reprogram my key fob. Now in order to open my trunk I have to hold my trunk button on my fob for 2-3 seconds. This definitely corrected my issue. So I'd suggest to contact your local dealer and have them reprogram your key fob. They are aware of the issue and I wasn't charged for the service. I'm not sure if my car still being under warranty played a part in it but you could check and see.

Hope this helps.
Old August 6th, 2015, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Trunk opening problems

I don't know if the Impala can be reprogrammed on the fob. The Malibu and Cruze require the trunk relay be replaced with one that takes 2 presses within a couple of seconds to open the trunk. GM # 19119267
Old August 6th, 2015, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default trunk opening

Unwanted Trunk Opening

September 18, 2013
<!-- article-content --> Owners of some 2014 Impala models and 2013 ATS models (applies to ATS models built prior to April 8, 2013 only) may experience the trunk opening without having requested the trunk to open.

The unwanted trunk opening may be due to the trunk release button (Fig. 7) on the Remote Keyless Entry transmitter (key fob) requiring a quick button press (only 0.2 seconds is required) to open the trunk. As a result, the trunk may be opening when the key fob button is inadvertently pressed while in a pocket or purse.
Fig 7
If this condition is present and the owner would like to increase the amount of time required when pressing the key fob trunk release button, contact the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC: 1-800-828-6860, English, or 1-800-503-3222, French) for a VCI number to install a new BCM calibration. The new calibration will extend the required minimum time for a trunk release button press on the key fob to one second.

TIP: Once programmed, inform the customer about the new operation of the key fob. It will be necessary to press and hold the trunk release button for one second before the trunk will open.

- Thanks to Christopher Hightower and Stephen Jacob
<!-- /article-content -->
Old August 26th, 2015, 11:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I finally go the Impala reprogramed to require a longer press on the remote to open the trunk - BIG DIFFERENCE. Like I said in prev posts, the first time my wife went down to the dealer I figured they would have things all set up since they had a couple of weeks until the appointment came up. Nope, they said they would research it some more and have their top guy look into it and after 20 minutes or so, they both said there was no such thing and it couldn't be done. With the help of this forum, I forwarded the info to the dealer and they looked into it again and set us up for another appointment. Again I thought they would be ready for us since they had a couple of weeks to get ready for it. This time they said they needed the VIN to get the custom programming for our car and they couldn't do it at that time, we would need another appointment. This appointment, I went down and was in and out in 20 minutes. this time they had a different tech working on it. The tech that did it usually works on my Volt when I bring it in.
Old August 27th, 2015, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default Not a problem for 6 years...

My '03 Impala just developed this problem with trunk opening at random and the light drains the battery...so I keep having to jump start my car.
I don't know of anything different now than for the last 6 years in terms of how I handle or keep my keys/fob.
I need to solve this problem.
Old August 29th, 2015, 9:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bleeneel
My '03 Impala just developed this problem with trunk opening at random and the light drains the battery...so I keep having to jump start my car.
I don't know of anything different now than for the last 6 years in terms of how I handle or keep my keys/fob.
I need to solve this problem.
At least pull the bulb in the trunk

Not sure how often this is happening - but your poor alternator...ugh.
Old August 29th, 2015, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Turns out the trunk wasn't draining the battery... The battery wasn't holding a charge and when it went dead the trunk automatically pops apparently. Thanks for responding.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Impala trunk opens randomly by itself