Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Impala trunk opens randomly by itself

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2015, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bleeneel
Turns out the trunk wasn't draining the battery... The battery wasn't holding a charge and when it went dead the trunk automatically pops apparently. Thanks for responding.
Thanks for the followup.

How old was the battery? Anything over 5 years is probably trash these days.

If before that - might want to test alternator.
Old October 7th, 2015, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reprogram of BCM may work

After convincing dealer I wasn't imagining unintentional trunk opening on my 2014 Impala LTZ they reprogrammed the BCM (as descrbed in an earlier reply) to require much longer push on trunk open button on key FOB. I'm guessing that will fix problem but time will tell. My car was built fairly early in that model year which I think is the cars that have this problem.
Old October 28th, 2015, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

So is it a Key FOB re-program or a BCM re-program?

My wife is taking her 2015 in this next Monday due to the truck randomly opening.
Needs a oil change anyway.
Old October 28th, 2015, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by skeeterhawk
So is it a Key FOB re-program or a BCM re-program?

My wife is taking her 2015 in this next Monday due to the truck randomly opening.
Needs a oil change anyway.
A reprogram of the BCM was done to require a longer push on key FOB button for trunk. The dealer asked me to bring in both key FOBs so they could verify that the fix worked regardless of which was used. Your dealer may or may not know of this fix. I had to insist my dealer do a little research with Chevrolet to get this information. My dealers service advisors never seem to want to hear what I've found out about a problem on the internet. I have had to beg their Customer Relations Manager to get in touch with Chevrolet on this and another item to get fixes. The usual approach of service departments is to tell you they can't replicate a problem in the shop therefore there is no problem even when there are multiple reports on forums such as this about others having the problem and getting it fixed.
Old October 31st, 2015, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Well come to find out that the FOB(BCM) already has a 2 second delay.
Having the FOB in my pocket is causing the problem.

I ordered silicon covers for my FOBs and will cut out the trunk release button on the cover so the trunk release button is recessed on the FOB.

Now why can't GM use this as a fix to this ongoing ISSUE?
Old October 31st, 2015, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

The silicone covers sound like a great idea. Of course, a better design from GM would be even better but I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening. The key FOB design they used on some of my previous cars, 2004 and 2011 Malibus, had frequent solder joint failures and poor push button reliability and they continued using that design for many years. Luckily, there is an aftermarket company online, that runs a pretty healthy business, selling an inexpensive fix for those problems.
Old June 27th, 2016, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2015 Chevrolet Impala and I have had the trunk open on many occasions. One time it was raining when I came out of the supermarket. Another time I had been to the rifle range and had my rifles in the trunk and there it was wide open. I know this is from an accidental operation of the trunk key while in my pocket, sort of like butt dial on your phone. I did an experiment, I walked 500 feet from my car and pressed the trunk open. Sure enough it opened. I then performed the same operation from 1000feet and you guessed it, the trunk opened. Now why in the world would I want my trunk to open from that distance? I think this is happening to other people but they don't know what is causing it and haven't reported same. I called Chevrolet dealer and explained problem, they said they could not fix it and I should contact GM, which I did but they had no fix either.
Old June 27th, 2016, 3:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

captjake68, it looks like you are having the same problem I did! Follow this thread and contact Chevrolet Customer Service and I'm sure they can assist the dealer in getting the custom download using your VIN setup and downloaded into your Impala. Since I had mine done, I have not had one trunk open incident.
Old June 27th, 2016, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by captjake68@gmail.com
I have a 2015 Chevrolet Impala and I have had the trunk open on many occasions. One time it was raining when I came out of the supermarket. Another time I had been to the rifle range and had my rifles in the trunk and there it was wide open. I know this is from an accidental operation of the trunk key while in my pocket, sort of like butt dial on your phone. I did an experiment, I walked 500 feet from my car and pressed the trunk open. Sure enough it opened. I then performed the same operation from 1000feet and you guessed it, the trunk opened. Now why in the world would I want my trunk to open from that distance? I think this is happening to other people but they don't know what is causing it and haven't reported same. I called Chevrolet dealer and explained problem, they said they could not fix it and I should contact GM, which I did but they had no fix either.
See my reply from October 2015. My dealer reprogrammed the BCM on my 2014 Impala to require a longer push of trunk unlock button on key FOB.Haven't had a problem since. I had to insist the dealer pursue the issue and they got some kind of reprogram of BCM authorized. Very frustrating when you know there is a fix and the dealer won't pursue it.
Old June 29th, 2016, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Frank3
captjake68, it looks like you are having the same problem I did! Follow this thread and contact Chevrolet Customer Service and I'm sure they can assist the dealer in getting the custom download using your VIN setup and downloaded into your Impala. Since I had mine done, I have not had one trunk open incident.

Frank3
Thanks for heads up. I will try with my dealer again.

Quick Reply: Impala trunk opens randomly by itself