Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Impala trunk opens randomly by itself

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2016, 4:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this same problem. My name is Terry Haist, 2016 Chevy Impala LT VIN#2G1115S34G9119877, FAIRGROUND CHEVROLET
Old July 7th, 2016, 8:57 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Terry, welcome to the forum. When Chevrolet Customer service reads your reply, they may respond to it with instructions. Since I had the delay programmed on my 2014 Impala LTZ, I have not had 1 repeat incidence of the trunk opening. I had tried the silicone fob covers before the re-programming with mixed results as it did cut down on the number of time this happened but it still did on occasion. The re-program did the trick for me.
Old October 20th, 2016, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem with my 2014 2LTZ but, not having noted this forum, a long road to fixing it. Have carried fob in leather pouch (made for a Buick using similar fob) in an otherwise empty pocket for most of 3 years. That reduced trunk popping frequency from multiple per week to one every few months. First heard of reprogram when car was about 18 months old. Took it to dealer. They 'forgot' to do reprogram but promised to catch it on next service. Tried and failed at 2nd dealer. Tried again this week with advance scheduling back at 1st dealer. They said sure, they 'knew about' the problem. But then at car pickup time said by phone they couldn't find anything about a BCM calibration for this vehicle or this problem. I called Chevrolet customer care and they were polite but unhelpful in steering me anywhere at all and said I'd have to work it out with one or more dealers. Stated that I was requesting a 'design change' and refused to offer any guidance. Finally found GM Techlink bulletin from www.sandyblogs.com ("Unwanted Trunk Opening" dated Sept 13, 2013). Printed this and went back to dealer. He, reluctantly, took that to his technician and they 'searched again'. The reprogram was completed about an hour later. So two trips to dealer, a couple hours of phone calls, web search and insisting on satisfaction eventually got it done. Chevrolet did not make this easy, and I cannot understand why. I would have the problem unsolved except for the posting of the old TechLink bulletins at that website. I very much like the car otherwise, but would prefer to not have my trunk emptied or filled with rain or snow.
Old May 6th, 2017, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

To All who come here for an answer to this problem....there is a solution and your dealer CAN fix this. I began having the same problem on my 2014 Impala and contacted my dealership for answers. After getting a lot of we don't knows and try putting a fob cover on your key fob kind of crap, the head of service finally called me back not only with an apology but a solution. He got on line and on the phone with GM and talked to some engineers. The solution was to reprogram the body module..yes, there was a software update needed and after doing this, my problem was solved. It now takes a second more to open the trunk but that is just fine with me.
Old May 24th, 2019, 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Impala trunk opens

I know this is an old thread, but I just found it. My Impala is doing the same thing. How do I go about getting the dealership to put the 2 second delay in?
Old May 26th, 2019, 9:01 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Tommy. What year is your Impala? When I had the problem on my 2014, I had a hard time getting the idea of what I needed done to the car. It took 3 or 4 trips before they finally saw the light. What happens is they work with the factory to request a now software update that is valid for only your VIN. The dealer will download it and program it into your car. This update changes the response from the FOB so it will require a solid 2 second press to activate the trunk latch.
Old November 20th, 2019, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2017 impala

I'm at the dealership now an the manager is telling me that the truck don't pop open by itself an clearly I'm not the only one with this issue mines not only popped open randomly it did it when I was backing out of my garage and damaged my camera
Old November 25th, 2019, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

I put a key fob cover on our FOBs. Cut the silicon square out at the truck release button. Haven't had a problem since. Piece of sh--t 2015. Getting water in the trunk now. No wonder GM discontinued the Impala, they forgot how to build a quality product and stand behind the F ups.

Last edited by skeeterhawk; November 25th, 2019 at 6:53 PM.
Old March 25th, 2020, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 2018 Chevy Impala

I'm having the same problem with my 2018 Impala. The truck opens up, a few time while I was driving. I keep my keeps on my belt loop, which sits on my lap when in the car driving. I know it wasn't pressed while I was driving. This makes this a safety issue. I've taken it to the Chevy dealership and they tell me they could not recreate the problem, even though they saw the truck open on it's own as I was pulling up. I was told that they contacted the Chevy engineers, and will contact me when they here from them. That was months ago, and I still haven't heard back from anyone. I can't use my truck, put anything in it because I don't want my things taken, not if, but when it opens up again.
Old February 27th, 2021, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Having same problems

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi Frank,

We can definitely reach out to your dealership about your trunk. Just message us your VIN, mileage, contact information, and dealership name. Once we do a bit of research on our end we'll touch base with both you and the dealership on our findings. Hope to hear from you soon!

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
My trunk as well keeps popping open as soon as I shut it. Please be in touch soon thanks