Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Keep blowing out water pump gaskets

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2019, 12:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep blowing out water pump gaskets

I replaced my water pump and it lasted one week until the gasket blew out. So I got a better gasket and that one lasted three days before it blew out. Why do these gaskets keep blowing out even though I used sealer. I noticed the top radiator hose doesn’t warm up as fast as the bottom one. Is the radiator clogged up putting pressure on that gasket seal?
Old October 8th, 2019, 2:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by shwaggz
I replaced my water pump and it lasted one week until the gasket blew out. So I got a better gasket and that one lasted three days before it blew out. Why do these gaskets keep blowing out even though I used sealer. I noticed the top radiator hose doesn’t warm up as fast as the bottom one. Is the radiator clogged up putting pressure on that gasket seal?
Check your REAL coolant temp hot. Also, slapping sealant on the gasket is not recommended. perhaps enough to keep it in place, but no more then that. Are you torquing the bolts in a rotating fashion, down to specs?

Here is a youtube vid.Frankly I would NEVER use that much sealant on the gasket,but other then that, seems legit. Torque it down slowly and alternating bolts.

Old October 8th, 2019, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Check your REAL coolant temp hot. Also, slapping sealant on the gasket is not recommended. perhaps enough to keep it in place, but no more then that. Are you torquing the bolts in a rotating fashion, down to specs?

Here is a youtube vid.Frankly I would NEVER use that much sealant on the gasket,but other then that, seems legit. Torque it down slowly and alternating bolts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XscndbK18
The only thing I didn’t do that was in the video was use a torque wrench but I was extra careful not to over tighten those bolts and I did do it in an alternating fashion.