Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Left the motor running

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2014, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left the motor running

I have walked away and left the motor running. Somewhere in the Info system is an alarm for the motor on and the key bob leaving the car and the door closed. I can't find it. 2014 impala ltz. I know there is no fix for stupid but I hope the car is smarter than me. Thanks for any help. John
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I can't speak for the Impala but my wife's Dodge Journey dose signal that the key fob has left the vehicle BUT the chime is inside the vehicle so there is no external signal...
Old December 19th, 2014, 8:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjohn12
I have walked away and left the motor running. Somewhere in the Info system is an alarm for the motor on and the key bob leaving the car and the door closed. I can't find it. 2014 impala ltz. I know there is no fix for stupid but I hope the car is smarter than me. Thanks for any help. John
This doesn't make sense. How would the car know if you were still sitting in it?

The car will only beep the horn/unlock the doors if you leave a FOB in the car while closing the door.
Old December 19th, 2014, 2:46 PM
Administrator

I believe the poster was wanting to know of a way to have the vehicle tell him that the fob has left the car and its still running... i.e. he went into work and left his vehicle running because there was no key to remove... just got out and forgot the car was running still... removing the fob will allow the vehicle to continue to run... seems like it should have a 10 minute time out without a fob present...
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

in2pro - thanks for the clarification. I read the original post too fast and confused myself with the part of the manual.. I assumed he left 1 of the fob's in the car while it was running.

the 2014 impala manual is here:

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...2k14impala.pdf

I see nothing on walking out with the remote..

Page 2-17 starts about the alarm.

The original poster should start setting his car alarm. Failure to set it would mean the car is still running.
Old December 21st, 2014, 3:54 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
This doesn't make sense. How would the car know if you were still sitting in it?

The car will only beep the horn/unlock the doors if you leave a FOB in the car while closing the door.
Sorry to get off subject but I have a question more late model GM rather than just Impala.
Are there not sensors in the passenger seat to tell the car if there is someone sitting in the seat?
The sensors turn the passenger side air bag on or off<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Old December 21st, 2014, 4:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Oldcrow
Sorry to get off subject but I have a question more late model GM rather than just Impala.
Are there not sensors in the passenger seat to tell the car if there is someone sitting in the seat?
The sensors turn the passenger side air bag on or off<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
There is, that is how it knows to signal the seat belt sign, I believe there is also a sensor to tell if the weigh of the passenger is over 60 lbs so that the air bag can be on, or off depending on weight...
Old December 21st, 2014, 5:14 PM
CF Veteran

I tested the car alarm thing tonight. I left the car running, exited the vehicle, doors would lock, but I could NOT set the alarm.
Old December 24th, 2014, 10:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not use the Onstar App on a Smart phone to shut the vehicle off ?
Old December 24th, 2014, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

If you forget to turn off the car, how would you remember to use the on star app? lol

Quick Reply: Left the motor running