Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

ONSTAR

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2007, 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ONSTAR

I have a 2007 impala with out onstar. CAn it be added by buying and installing a rear view mirror with onstar?
Old April 13th, 2007, 4:49 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ONSTAR

No, it cannot be added after the fact.
Old April 13th, 2007, 5:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how did that happen?
Chevy website shows that Onstar is available on all 2007 Impalas.
Old April 13th, 2007, 5:03 PM
CF Senior Member

I went and looked on Onstar.... found this... see the * at the bottom.... did you get a commercial vehicle Impala?
How Do I Get OnStar?
OnStar is a factory-installed option and cannot be installed by a dealer or retailer, so you must do one of the following:
[*]Purchase a vehicle with OnStar[*]Own a vehicle with OnStar [/ul]

Purchase a vehicle with OnStar[/align]Because of GM's commitment to continuous safety — offering protection before, during, and after collisions — OnStar will be standard in the full range of GM retail cars, trucks, and SUVs in the United States and Canada by 2007.* The first year of OnStar service is included with your purchase of a new GM OnStar-equipped vehicle. [/align][/align]*Except some commercial vehicles. [/align][/align]
Old April 14th, 2007, 8:11 AM
CF Junior Member

You aren't missing a thing! Extremely expensive for what you get. $16.95 p/month for the most basic plan and $34.95 a month for the premium one with the navigation assistance and such. The basic plan is over priced for what you get and while the other plan I suppose is priced fair that is too much IMO to spend monthly for something I can get free on MapQuest with a little planning. I don't need OnStar tracking my movements or sending me e-mail diagnostics of my truck either.

What really burns me though is you can't use the hands free calling feature without subscribing to a basic OnStar plan( Safe & Sound @ $16.95 a month )and buying very expensive air times minutes( or setting it up with a Verizon Wireless account@ a minimum of $69.99 p/month PLUS don't forget that minimum $16.95 a month OnStar plan ). It would have meant an extra $47.04 a month for me if I upgraded my existing Verizon cell account to the Verizon/OnStar one and then had to get the Safe & Sound plan. $47.04 a month JUST to use equipmentI already paid for when buying the vehicle = RIP OFF!

They further screw the customer by only allowing you to set up an account with a credit card. NObilling a customers bankaccounts or monthly statements. Just direct billed to a CC. Well, I refuse to do that. I useCC's extremely sparingly and I have no use for a company that won't send me a bill and will only direct bill a CC of mine. Who do they think they are?

The only thing about the truck coming with OnStar I was happy about was the fact I was going to be able to use the hands free feature. Well that failed in a big way. So, I will get an aftermarket Bluetooth device and within a year I will have recouped the investmant based on minimum charges from OnStar. After that approx year I am ahead of the game as I won't have that bill every month, for something I don't use, from OnStar.

Again, IMO, you are missing NOTHING! There is a reason OnStar only has 4 million subscribers out of the tens of millions of vehicles sold equipped with it = WAAYYYYTOO EXPENSIVE!

If it were possible I would remove it from my new Silverado and give all that crap to you. I wish it was still only an option. Keep that crap and take $500 off the truck( used to be a $900 option ). Sorry for the rant but again, as I said above, you are missing NOTHING!
Old April 16th, 2007, 3:59 PM
CF Senior Member

like said, if you can map quest it ahead of time- cool.
Which is what my gf would do. But too many times there was clients canceling or moving apt dates. so stuff became shuffled. New clients pop up etc. So for now- the Onstar turn by turn has been great in that shes able to easily change her plans...
before shed end up calling me and Id have to look up directions and guide her- a bit of a hassle.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 4:11 AM
CF Veteran

ORIGINAL: rbarrios

how did that happen?
Chevy website shows that Onstar is available on all 2007 Impalas.
it was probably ordered or made with the onstar deleted.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 9:49 AM
CF Junior Member

When I ordered my 07 NBS Silverado I inquired about deleting OnStar. We looked all over the order page but it was not an option to delete it. Just stupid to force it on people. They should have an option to delete it for those who don't want it even if it only saves a couple hundred.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 2:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Your assuming you would get something back.
If its like the spoiler delete option on the Impala LTZ
you get 0 back. Guess GM thinks they are doing you a favour by leaving it off. Scroll all they way to the bottom on the link,if it works.
Jim
http://www.chevrolet.com/byo/selectO...;x=27&y=14
Old April 22nd, 2007, 7:28 PM
CF Veteran

ORIGINAL: NHSilverado

When I ordered my 07 NBS Silverado I inquired about deleting OnStar. We looked all over the order page but it was not an option to delete it. Just stupid to force it on people. They should have an option to delete it for those who don't want it even if it only saves a couple hundred.
I rember when I bought my tahoe I looked at a couple of silverados and a few had onstar delete. To be fair though I am only 80% sure it was 07's I saw that on.

Quick Reply: ONSTAR