Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Onstar backup battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2015, 6:56 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

MadGrammy Welcome to the forum...
In an accident lots of things can be plausible...how long ago did it happen?
My 2 cents is its not likely related, its like saying the accident caused the batteries in the flash light located in the glove box to stop working...
Can an impact make a battery pack stop working, sure, but it would have to be a pretty hard one I would think.
Old February 8th, 2015, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onstar battery

our accident happened in late September 2014. The car was in the shop a month. We started receiving Onstar notifications that we needed to have a diagnostic test before or soon after we got the car out of the shop. I finally got around to it a couple of weeks ago and it said we needed a new battery. I began to wonder if the accident could have caused the problem as the entire trunk was smashed in and parts were replaced. (I was at a stop light and was hit by a 250 club cab Ford pickup pulling a trailer with no brakes.) Since the battery is located behind the left rear wheelwell, it probably sustained some of the blow. The trunk lid and half of the trunk had to be replaced. We'll contact the repair place Monday and see what they say. A little late to collect for it but I'd still like to know.
Old February 8th, 2015, 3:04 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm reaching here, but its plausible the repair shop could have left the keys in the ignition without the engine running for an extended period of time and depleted the battery...
Any issues with the main vehicle battery?
Old February 8th, 2015, 5:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's only a 4 year lifespan battery.. You got 6 years out of it.

OnStar Backup Battery - GM Techlink
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by DavidS1206
The Onstar unit is in the trunk, on the driver's side. Pull the trunk lining carpet away from the side of the trunk, and you will see it. The back-up battery is mounted on the side of the unit with a special bracket. Follow the instructions on the tech sheet listed above to avoid the check-engine light becoming lit. The battery is the "Ultralife" brand and has a GM part number of 88861186. Cost is 54.04 from www.gmpartsdirect.com. Follow the instructions in the GM tech sheet listed above and do it yourself. Save the labor cost. I hope this helped!!
i cannot bring up tech list. Will not open.
Old May 20th, 2015, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default You will pay more than the $55 bucks.

While the Battery is about $55 the shipping is a bunch, there is a special rate for that type of Battery and in the end you will paiy close to $95. As to a Tech Listing, , all you are doing is removing the screws holding the Battery, unplugging it, plugging the new one in and installing the screws. The Tech info tells you to dispose of the Battery properly which you can take it to most any Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. and they have bins to recycle Batteries.