Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Passlock fix

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2015, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passlock fix

I own a 05 impala ls 3.8 my passlock system would leave me stuck two three times a day I easily fixed it I took the Dash apart got to the ignition and took off the black tab on the back of the ignition there are two Contacts I pulled them out they were slightly burned I just took sandpaper and cleaned up all points of contact easy fix hardest part was taken the front of dash apart as if u were installing a stereo hope this helps I wasn't spending Big bucks on an ignition

Last edited by emilio96; July 29th, 2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old July 29th, 2015, 5:18 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I am moving your post to the Impala section where it will get more views.
Old October 19th, 2015, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question PassLock

Hi: guys I m kind of stumped because I hear somewhat the same issues I m having with my 1999 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab 3 Door LS 5.3, my service engine light stays on no matter what I do, I have replaced and reprogrammed both the BCM and the ECM, nothing seems to help, I even replaced the ignition switch. I have noticed long before my security light started staying on I started having issues with my Temperature Actuator, the actuator won't reset no matter how many times you perform the reset procedures and trust me I tried just about every reset procedure for many GM vehicles, I heard a loud pop and shortly after we got hot air, that was back in 2003, it's been in the shop so many time I can't count, the last time I had the truck in a GM shop was 04/2015 they kept my truck for a little over 3 weeks, they called for me to come pickup my truck, however when I got in and started the truck turned on the A/C nothing but hot air, so I went back in and demanded to speak to the manager who sent for the tech that worked on my truck, when the tech came he immediately stated he could not fix my truck and stated he just could not repair the A/C, so if the dealer can't fix it with the proper tech 2 scan tool how can anyone else fix my passlock and temperature actuator, again I m having horrible issues with the passlock and my A/C temperature actuator won't reset resulting in no A/C. I heard one guy claim with his passlock he soldered the yellow, red and I think black wires in place, he claims corrosion had degraded the signal and he says now his GM security passlock issue is gone, has anyone heard of this before? the only issue is this guys refuses to post step by step instructions, I need the instructions because I m not your everyday mechanic, with instructions or a video I can do the job myself. I will except any and all help with my two issues?
The following 2 users liked this post by mama4252:
BiggerNate (April 20th, 2023), Kkonski (July 14th, 2022)
Old December 9th, 2015, 9:49 PM
CF Active Member

OP's issue is clearly not with passlock. As it is a wireless system, the contacts that were cleaned were for the ignition system. Since people are always in a hurry to get in their car and just go they don't notice the "security" light until it won't start and then immediately blame passlock. If you get in your 7th gen Impala (because I have one, not sure ALL GM's work the same), close the door and turn the key to position #2 (DON'T START IT YET), you will notice the message center toggles between "security" and "battery" ALWAYS!!! Turn the key and it starts, obviously no passlock issue. If "security" is flashing quickly (like 6 times) between showing "battery" than you definitely have a passlock issue.

IIRC there is a bypass instruction (cut a wire and solder in a resistor) somewhere on the internet by kingbain(?). The system can also be bypassed by installing a tune (Overkill), a remote start or some have had success with a magic box from newrockies.com.

If you don't feel like doing any mods to your car, there are only 2 parts to replace, the sensor in the key switch and the BCM. Be aware however that the BCM has to come from an identical car if used or be programmed to your car if new. First thing to try though would be simply cleaning the male and female 3 pin connectors at the sensor (front end of key switch on bottom; yellow, white & black wires). This connector is not the tightest fit and has been known to get a little corroded which makes it hard for the BCM to read the sensor.

Back to "programming the BCM" (from personal $$$ experience): the EBCM monitors the ABS sensors to tell if a tire is low/flat and sends a signal to the BCM which then pops up on the message center. There are 2 ways to reset it, "TIRE MON" through the special settings on the stock radio or the playing with the headlight switch - but only if the BCM is programmed correctly! If you have a stock radio I suggest going through the special settings BEFORE and AFTER replacing the BCM to make sure nothing disappeared, once the car has been started 15 times the BCM programming becomes permanent and another replacement will be required if it is wrong. And if "TIRE MON" doesn't show up on the radio, the headlight switch option will not work either which means about every 7K miles (when you rotate the tires) the dealership will want $85 to turn the light off for you.
Old December 10th, 2015, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default PassLock Issue Fixed

Hi: guys I m hearing every word you guys are saying, however my vehicle is not an Impala, not sure if my 1999 chevy silverado passlock system is the same as your Impala, but my problems were tri-fold, my problems included a bad GM alarm system, a bad fuel pump and a bad brake booster, I removed the GM stock alarm and replaced it with a one way Viper alarm system, which fixed my start and shut down issue, I replaced the fuel pump and brake booster and now my truck runs like brand new, the only issue I have with my truck now is either a bad HVAC control head or a bad Temp Actuator, A/C and heater works just fine, however I can't get the Temp Actuator to relearn it's settings, tried everything, about to order a new control head and a new Temp Actuator and do the relearn steps again, if that don't fix it to the shop it goes and let a pro relearn the Temp Actuator with a Tech II tool. anyone have any ideas or has had a lot of trouble relearning the Temp Actuator on a GM or Chevy vehicle please feel free to give me a shout.
Old December 11th, 2015, 12:01 AM
CF Active Member

Sorry I don't know the answer for that problem.

I'm assuming you've searched and/or posted this question in the Silverado forum.