Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Chevy Malibu-Fix Passlock or not?

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2014, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Malibu-Fix Passlock or not?

Hello! I could really use some advice, I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu that is having problems with the Passlock system. I frequently have to do the 10 minute relearn program to get it to start. Sometimes the theft light even comes on when I am driving. It is also losing power when going up hills. I took it to the dealer today and they could not find anything wrong with regards to it losing power but said to fix the passlock/theft system I would need to replace the ignition and starter for $770. Right now it is basically just a nuisance and delays me 10 minutes a few times a week, I am wondering if I should replace the ignition and starter or just deal with the delay. Can neglecting this problem cause further problems down the road, or put me in danger? It just seems like a lot of money to spend if the car is okay otherwise and it is really just an annoyance at this point.