Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

01 Malibu- No Start Passlock- FIX!

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2009, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink 01 Malibu- No Start Passlock- FIX!

Ok I have the same problem that many here have had and I feel, after reading many of these posts that the intermittent starting problem must be due to the "Passlock" system. However neither I or my dealerhave been able to decipher what the fix is. If I have missed something please straighten me out, but does anyone know what can be done about this starting problem.
I too have been supporting my dealership with hundreds of dollars with no results. They have replaced the ignition switch, but I was able to keep my same key which I guess does not come into play on the later Chevies, and has taken out the remote start system. Again this has not fixed the starting problem. They have had the dash apart looking for loose wiring but no luck.
When it refuses to start all the dash lights go out except the security light. Then if I wait for a few minutes, apparently it is 10 minutes, it, most of the time, will start.

In 2006 I was able to bypass the passlock system, by installing a resistor (less than $1), and have not had any problems since.

The catchacall weblink (1998 Internation Electronics, Inc - who claims no liability in the accuracy of the document) used as an illustrated guide for the fix was removed from the internet. www.catchacall.com/vatts.htm.

If anyone would like a copy of the information, provide your email address and it can be forwarded it to you.

Note: I believe the theft system is disabled by performing this proceedure. I claim no responsibility or liability either.
Old March 27th, 2010, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

I have an 03 Malibu with the same problem. If you found something that works, please forward it and I will give it a try. Thanks chimis@sbcglobal.net
Old May 3rd, 2010, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default passlock fix

Have passlock problem on 2000 malibu, would like info on fix. rmg_sc@yahoo.com