Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Problems Cascade

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2007, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems Cascade

My '01 Impala has been experiencing a cascade of problems lately.
It's like it's goin into self destruct mode

first off, there's a rattle (barely audible) felt through the steering wheel when cornering at highway speeds.
I suspect a CV joint, any suggestions as to whether I'm on the right track?

second, off and on (just started last night) there is a grinding sound (sounds like a mud flap dragging) coming from the left front when making hard right turns. I checked clearences, and there is nothing rubbing the wheel. Could this be related to my suspected CV joint problem?

third, the electric cooling fans do not shut off when the car shuts off, they go on till the battery run down protection kills them. It's currently -10 degrees here, the engine barely gets warm, so it's not an over heating problem.

and the most bizarre problem of all, everyonce and a while, the car will downshift for no apparent reason, go past the redline, and force me to slam on the brakes to keep from rear ending the car in front of me. The car doesn't accelerate like that when I floor it! feels like it just took a hit of nitrous or something. This is usually followed up by a flashing check engine light but no code will come up on the scanner. The check engine light will flash for about 1 min the go away.
this doesn't happen very often (happened 3 or 4 times in past 3 years)
but started after fuel pressure regulator was replaced (can I thank my dealer for this?)

other problems are more minor and obvious
signal lights don't work when cold out, have to pump hazard light button to get signals to work
thermostat sensor keeps tripping check engine light
Traction control doesn't work (ABS is currently disconnected since I got sick of traction control problems)
wheel bearings going one after the other (prolly why my traction control doesn't work)
CD player will not eject CD's when it's hot out

Old February 4th, 2007, 9:03 PM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: Problems Cascade

Sounds like the first and second things are connected. Usually cv joints will make a distinctive " clicking " sound. Check the rubber boots if they are torn then chances are the cv joints are in need of service. The common cause would be wheel bearings that would be noisy and causing vibrations.

The third thing sounds like the temperature control switch.

The sudden acceleration could be a wonky Throttle Position Sensor.
Old February 10th, 2007, 3:14 AM
CF Beginner

thanks
I nvr thought about the boots

but yeah, I just raplaced my right front wheel bearing last year and now the others are gettin noisy

I like the car, but the upkeep is killing me
Old February 10th, 2007, 10:32 AM
CF Pro Member

There was a recall on the Hazard/ signal lights ... the hazard switch to be replaced.

The temp. sensor issue may also be tied into sudden acceleration... thinking that's it cold.

The ABS issue is probably wheel senor(s) ... like you said affects the traction control.

If you're having the wheel bearings checked or changed it's a good time to check the wheel sensors.
Old February 10th, 2007, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

the wheel sensors are built into the bearing, so if I replace one, I replace both
but the ABS problems aren't really an issue, I just disconnect it (first car with ABS and I can take it or leave it)
the wheel bearings however are bloody expensive!
I don't think I'll ever buy another car newer then '87 unless it has warenty left on it