Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Rough Idling and Oxygen Sesor problems

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2007, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idling and Oxygen Sesor problems

I own a 2000 Impala with a little over 160,000 miles on it. It has been a great car. Recently it began to shake while in idle and the engine light went on. I took it to advanced auto parts and got the free test. They said it was my oxygen sensor. My car has two sensors but I only bought one to save money. I put in the new Oxygen sensor and then I also replaced the spark plugs. The light went off but the car still idles rough. I put in some fuel injector cleaner today but i was just wondering if anyone has any other ideas for me to research besides buying the other oxygen sensor.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 7:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Rough Idling and Oxygen Sesor problems

Try pulling the vacuum line off of your EGR valve and test drive it.
If that did it then it is probably your EGR control valve which takes commands from your computer.
Old July 24th, 2007, 5:44 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: wheels

I own a 2000 Impala with a little over 160,000 miles on it. It has been a great car. Recently it began to shake while in idle and the engine light went on. I took it to advanced auto parts and got the free test. They said it was my oxygen sensor. My car has two sensors but I only bought one to save money. I put in the new Oxygen sensor and then I also replaced the spark plugs. The light went off but the car still idles rough. I put in some fuel injector cleaner today but i was just wondering if anyone has any other ideas for me to research besides buying the other oxygen sensor.
I would get the codes pulled again. Just because it says O2 sensor doesn't mean that's what it is. If theO2 sensor or sensors are out of range it could be mean something else is causing it. By all means with 160K on the clock, I would replace the O2's, both of them. Pull codes and see where your at. Go from there. Plugs, wires and whatever tune up parts are needed I would do ... get it out of the mix if you haven't already done so, and then ... codes again ... this is the only way to track it down.
Old August 1st, 2007, 1:05 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

throttle position sensor.......mass air sensor.....
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

I own a 2000 with the 3.8l and around 100k, the engine light came on and I also had the rough idles and it would sputter while driving. I had the code pulled and it was the Mass Air Flow sensor. I replaced the sensor and had the computer reset, but the light is still on, but the problems went away. I am not getting the best fuel milage, but it drives smooth. The error code is still saying that the Mass Air Flow sensor has "Low Input Voltage". Would another senor upstream or downstream of this sensor cause this same error message?
Old October 28th, 2007, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

i have an 02 LS. when my O2 sensor went, the engine just died when driving. no sputtering, nothing. i used an ODB2 scanner and it said it was the O2 sensor. I was thinking it was the battery since it was about 5 y/o and it was only a 5 year battery.

I replaced the O2 sensor and it fixed it. BTW, the sensor was about 140.00 w/core charge. with the core charge, i guess they go bad. the O2 sensor i replaced was on the intake, not the MAS on the hose. the sensors about the size of a pack of cigaretts. ALso, you will need some Torx drivers to remove the sensor.