Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Suggestions: Starting disabled service throttle message followed by stall out

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2013, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions: Starting disabled service throttle message followed by stall out

In January of 2011, I bought my impala as a certified pre-owned with only about 33,000 miles on it. I've had minor issues here and there but nothing major.

This past May I had to replace the alternator and I've also had the brakes replaced once.

This weekend my mother borrowed the car to visit my brother in Maine. On the way home, the car suddenly flashed a message, "Starting Disabled Service Throttle", the check engine light came on, and then it just died in the fast lane on a 4 lane highway. My mother was lucky to make it over to the side of the road without getting into an accident. The car locked he ignition and she wasn't even able to turn the key (something that also happened when the alternator went a few months ago).

She was able to start the car again after about 10 minutes. At that time, the message had disappeared, the check engine light was off and the car behaved totally normal.

Does anyone know if the source of this problem is related to a faulty part within the Impala? I know other people have experienced electrical issues with the impala and I'm considering registering this as a safety complaint.

I also would like to know what to ask the dealership to look at when I take it in for service.

Thanks!
Old October 19th, 2013, 5:48 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

aquakitty,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern. I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and address? I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 21st, 2013, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me. Can you please send me your email so I can contact you directly? My email is aquakitty7@yahoo.com.

Thank you.
Elissa
Old October 22nd, 2013, 3:30 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by aquakitty7
Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me. Can you please send me your email so I can contact you directly? My email is aquakitty7@yahoo.com.

Thank you.
Elissa
Hello Elissa,

I wanted to let you know I sent you an email from our account. We can continue to interact that way.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Erica Tiffany)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 15th, 2018, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default Starting disabled service throttle

My car did the same thing , I was driving at night on a country road and my car started beeping and a message appeared about starting disabled and my engine shut down. It scared me, I couldn’t steer or brake. This could have seriously hurt me and some one else if I had been a few miles down the road. Any luck on how to fix, we had to have my car towed.
Old January 15th, 2020, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Having disabled service throttle and stall out problems

I bought a 2011 used in 2017. It had 35000 miles or so. I haven't had any problems until the last month or so with the check engine light going on and off. This morning I was driving and the engine light came on, the engine power reduced notice came on, then the disabled service throttle notice. I notices the wheel became very hard to turnand the car was barely moving. I managedto get off the road. The wheel locked up and all power died after a few minutes I was able to crank thecar and get to work.
Advice??????

=aquakitty7;259074]In January of 2011, I
Originally Posted by aquakitty7
In January of 2011, I bought my impala as a certified pre-owned with only about 33,000 miles on it. I've had minor issues here and there but nothing major.

This past May I had to replace the alternator and I've also had the brakes replaced once.

This weekend my mother borrowed the car to visit my brother in Maine. On the way home, the car suddenly flashed a message, "Starting Disabled Service Throttle", the check engine light came on, and then it just died in the fast lane on a 4 lane highway. My mother was lucky to make it over to the side of the road without getting into an accident. The car locked he ignition and she wasn't even able to turn the key (something that also happened when the alternator went a few months ago).

She was able to start the car again after about 10 minutes. At that time, the message had disappeared, the check engine light was off and the car behaved totally normal.

Does anyone know if the source of this problem is related to a faulty part within the Impala? I know other people have experienced electrical issues with the impala and I'm considering registering this as a safety complaint.

I also would like to know what to ask the dealership to look at when I take it in for service.

Thanks!