Intake, Forced Induction, & Exhaust Looking at a nice cold air intake or a cool turbo setup? Maybe a new exhaust system? Is your ride juiced up with Nitrous? Chat about moving air inside!

350 top end q's part 2.....

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2008, 6:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 top end q's part 2.....

Since I've been getting errors trying to reply to my other post, I'm going to try and start this new thread as a continuation to my other thread. So in reply to 1Gary in my other thread, here it is:

This will be the second time that I've replied to this msg.... Caught an error code, was tired and didn't feel like dealing with it.....

The heads, since the heads that I'm leaning toward are the part # 12410-02 ( http://www.racingheadservice.com/Inf...12410-02IS.pdf ) and it's designed for the cam that I'm leaning toward, CompCams #CL11-600-8 ( http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...d=485&sb=2 ) or # CL12-600-8 ( http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...=1258&sb=0) one of those two cams, but not sure which one.... Either way, that particular head is supposed to be for use with one of those cams.

Hydraulic cam use is a nice thing, a bit $$$, but it does seem to be worth it.....

If the RAM intake on this motor for the street is a bad idea, then I'll ditch the idea. The intake that I would have next in mind I would suppose would be the Eddy Performer RPM Air Gap.... I'm thinking that a 750 cfm carb for now would be a good choice for a 383 stroker. As for the runner, I'm sure RCH wouldn't mind opening the heads just a little more to help feed that 383 better. I'm gonna shoot for a 9.5:1 comp, these heads are 64 cc chamber I think. Most of the flat tops that I've seen are at least 10.5:1 and up.... Too much for iron heads on pump gas with no additives what so ever....
Old November 12th, 2008, 7:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 350 top end q's part 2.....

Looks like I got some work to do this weekend as far as reading and research. If going to the aluminum, I'm gonna be looking into stepping the comp up a little to compensate for the aluminum head material.

By the way, one of the original builds I was thinking of doing, used a set of heads like these: http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/60969/10002/-1
Old November 13th, 2008, 6:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Lol, reminds me of when I did a cam, intake, carb swap on an old car of mine that had a big block.... Still miss that car. Once I got it going again, before I adjusted the idle, sounded like a drag car. The specs on it was like a .509 lift with 292* duration.....

As for completing the combo, first thing I need to do is decide which S10 I'm going to use..... One is an auto truck, and the other is a manual truck.... Either way, the truck will remain what it is, IE, manual to manual, auto to auto.... Too bad I don't have enough money to do both trucks the same way, but have a manual 383 S10 and an auto 383 S10....

As for rear axle, I'm wondering if the factory rear axle will hold up to it or not. If not, then what to put in it..... This will be on the highway so.... 4.10 is out the window (but oh the possible fun of getting on it).... It will probably be in the higher 3.xx range (numerically).

As I had said, generally when using an aluminum, with the aluminum material, you factor a rough 1 point in compression loss due to heat loss through the aluminum material... This is why I'm now thinking of a range between 9.5:1 up to 10.5:1 ratio.... Factoring the rough one point, would be roughly a 8.5:1 to 9.5:1 ratio.... Make any since? I hope it does, lol.
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The S10/Blazer ratios are most commonly 3.42 (mostly in4wd MT)and 3.73 and they are 10 bolt. Not sure, but I think the early S-10s might have had 3.08.I think 3.42 would be a little long for you and 3.08 would definately be below your target. I would go with a 3.82 or a 3.88.
Old November 17th, 2008, 6:07 PM
CF Junior Member

When I get a minute to be able to take all that in, and come up with a reply, I'll get back to you all.... But I just got back from south Florida..... Roughly an 8 hour drive sticking with the Interstate speeds of over 70....
Old November 18th, 2008, 6:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Well lets see here, I didn't bring the Florida warmth up with me, supposed to be 24 tonight here, ouch.

As for my white S10, it has the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder with 5 speed manual transmission.... So for which gear ratio is in there, dun know.

How much hooking will it do, well, for one thing, I've been told that if you shim the axle down like 5* it will hook up fairly well.... True, dun know. Just for looks right now, I've got some chrome Lakewood Traction bars on the truck, these were just sitting around, so I threw them on there to make it look more sportier per say.

I like the convenience of having an auto tranny versus a manual, but I like the fact that a manual puts more power down the drive shaft than a typical auto tranny, and you can sorta have a little more fun with a manual versus auto..... Just one of those weigh my options and see what I see. On the 700 R4, between the auto's, this is the one that I would want to run anyway.

As for that GM cam, I'll look into it, and see what's what.

Recently I was talking to someone about wanting to build a 350/383 for an S10, and they said that they have a 350 also that they've also been thinking of tossing into an S10.... I shared some light on it, got to talking with them about there 350. I've came to the conclusion that there 350, based on year, is a bit different than the one that I'm working with. About the most they know about there motor is the fact that the truck it came out of was a Z71, the fact that it was the original motor, MPI fuel injection, and it's a '98 motor..... Based on this, I'm gonna say they have an LS1 motor..... I told him to build that one would probably be a little bit more than mine, but can be made to produce some power. When he gets a little closer to wanting to do something, I'll see if they make a stroker kit for that motor and let them know because they want to build a 350/383 too.....
Old November 19th, 2008, 6:29 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: 1Gary
Cam wise-GM designed what they call a "383" cam.Part# 14097395 which is a hydro roller 196/206 max lift 1.5.1 rocker ratio 431/451 with a centerline of 109.Sounds a tad small,but I like the tight centerline to build torque and compound the 383 c.i.Remember that AFR said a common issue with valve float at 6000 to 6500 with the stock roller lifter set-up.Seems kind of high in the rpm range,but maybe not a bad thing to have inculded in the cam combo.I don't think you would ever spin this cam that high,but if cheap enough,one less thing to think about.
Found it..... https://store.gmperformanceparts.com/store/SelectProd.do?prodId=7696&redir=true&manuf acturer=GM&category=Camshafts&name=Small%2 0Block%20Hydraulic%20Roller%20&model=%3C!14097 395%3E

I wonder how it compares to this cam though..... http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Old November 19th, 2008, 6:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Since the AFR's can't seem to be ported to the 195's as previously mentioned without some kind of grief going on, I've kind of limited down to these heads:
http://store.summitracing.com/compar...=KeywordSearch
*link is for reference*
What you think?
Old November 20th, 2008, 6:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Figures..... Let me see what I can do about it...