K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

Original 305 upgrade to Vortec? Or stay with carborator?

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2022, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original 305 upgrade to Vortec? Or stay with carborator?

I FULLY ADMIT....I'm not blessed with a lot of shop knowledge....I know if I had the tools and a shop I could rebuild the 305, but.....so I was on my local Craigslist and a guy is selling his 350 Vortec & Tranny from his rear ended truck. Its a 98 with about 150k....older guy. My question is, I know how easy it is to swap an older carbed motor & tranny, but what problems will arise from going from a carbed older (1985) 305 to a 98 vortec? I'm assuming theres some kinda computer that runs the fuel injection system? Is there a computer for the tranny too? I've thought about a basic crate motor (new) with at least 300 hp so she'll actually have some spunk.
I know...the old timers here are gonna laugh and wonder "Was he in the sun too long?" TIA...all constructive comments are welcomed. My inclination is to buy a crate carbed motor and rebuild the tranny...BTW, let me know if you think I should upgrade the original tranny or if a rebuilt will be sufficient. If it was yours and you had a limited budget, what motor tranny set up should I consider. :-)
Old November 12th, 2022, 7:59 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by UH-1M
I FULLY ADMIT....I'm not blessed with a lot of shop knowledge....I know if I had the tools and a shop I could rebuild the 305, but.....so I was on my local Craigslist and a guy is selling his 350 Vortec & Tranny from his rear ended truck. Its a 98 with about 150k....older guy. My question is, I know how easy it is to swap an older carbed motor & tranny, but what problems will arise from going from a carbed older (1985) 305 to a 98 vortec? I'm assuming theres some kinda computer that runs the fuel injection system? Is there a computer for the tranny too? I've thought about a basic crate motor (new) with at least 300 hp so she'll actually have some spunk.
I know...the old timers here are gonna laugh and wonder "Was he in the sun too long?" TIA...all constructive comments are welcomed. My inclination is to buy a crate carbed motor and rebuild the tranny...BTW, let me know if you think I should upgrade the original tranny or if a rebuilt will be sufficient. If it was yours and you had a limited budget, what motor tranny set up should I consider. :-)
You don't say what this is going in, I have to assume its an earlier, non ecm vehicle. I'd for that reason go with the crate carb engine, IMO.
Old November 12th, 2022, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's for my 85 K5, A/T......says 78k on the Odometer, but she's leaky and gutless....as I expected from the 305.
Old November 12th, 2022, 3:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by UH-1M
It's for my 85 K5, A/T......says 78k on the Odometer, but she's leaky and gutless....as I expected from the 305.
You can get a small block, replace the intake if need be with the existing carb setup. I'd be leary of putting a computer controlled engine in a non ecm truck.
The following users liked this post:
UH-1M (November 12th, 2022)
Old November 12th, 2022, 3:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

A computer controlled engine requires a lot of inputs for the ECM to do it's job and the last thing we think about is the exhaust system which requires oxygen sensors to supply some of those inputs. When possible Much easier to install same system as removed.