K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

Vortec

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2020, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec

Hey guys! was wondering if anyone on here has ever done a vortec swap on a k5-if you have what kind of parts did you use to do it? what was the best and worst part of your swap? the most difficult part of the swap? was it worth it in the end? and what kind of sensors/subsystems did you decide to keep? which ones did you get rid of? just kinda looking for a brainstorm from people who have done it or are seriously considering it and kinda figuring things out as they go along as I am-looking at doing this on my k5 and trying to figure out what im going to get into and trying to cover all my bases-ive done some research on it for awhile now and was going to rebuild the 350/tbi in mine but I think I have decided to go this route instead. anything you guys can think of on this let it fly I think I might have everything covered except my tuning and my harness work-but the engine is not in the blazer yet. here is what I have so far

fuel tank-I was able to keep my stock fuel tank and got a new sending unit for my k5, then removed the stock pump and installed a later model vortec pump
fuel lines-going with russel -6an fuel lines and adapters from tank to engine-I don't think I need a fuel pressure regulator, my particular 5.3 is regulated at the fuel rail
Dirty dingo engine mounts/brackets
shorty headers off an 11 model camaro (was told these would work without having to notch frame or modify headers)
oil pan will be off a chevy Colorado (was told the stock oil pan would contact crossmember at corners-this pan is supposed to remedy that)
also running the 4l60e that was originally with the 5.3-but using my k5 transfer case
i will not be running egr with this engine
still up in the air with evap system
electric fans/aluminum radiator
also going to get rid of the "unneccesary" circuits from ecu ie-battery temp, coolant level
for gauges i think i am going to run the intellitronix gauges dp6004
but instead of using vss on trans/transfer case-i think i might go with a gps speed sensing unit-but don't know if this is compatible with the intellitronix gauges or not

that is my list so far-if anything i think that will at least get the engine running long enough to see what else i am going to need-any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed-constructive criticism welcome also-thanks
Old November 25th, 2020, 7:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just did kind of this swap. However I gutted my wiring, put a new harness in the whole truck and removed all nonessential components for me. Ie cpu, egr, etc. Im basically running an old school carb set up. Going that route I just needed a correct manifold and it drops right in no fuss. However timing is a *****.