K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

Wont run. what now???

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2009, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont run. what now???

I own a 1989 full size with a 5.7 TBI. Sometimes it will idle but most of the time it dies as fast as it starts. If i take some sarter fluid to it it will run awsome for a few secs than dies again. I had first thought it was a vacuum so i had a buddy of mine help me keep it running while i squirted some carb cleaner all over the place to see if i could find the leak-nothing changed.
I changed out the injectors and regulator, fuel filter, spark plugs (carboned over bad), wires, cap, rotor, ignition mod, and cleaned out the EGR valve. I also checked the firing order and timing (not 180 deg. out) All these things had no effect on the way it runs.
Once in a while it will run on its own but as soon as i give it any gas at all it will kill it instantly. I also tried to do a fuel pump test but it doesn't have a schreider valve as a test point and i didn't want to hack up the fuel lines too bad if i didn't have to.
I was told that the ECM is prob bad, but once again i dont want to go buy one and not need it.
Any thoughts you guys?
BTW i had just bought this thing missing a trans. Was told that it ran fine before if that means anything.
Old February 15th, 2009, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Listen to me i had the same problems and sunk a ton of money in all the wrong places just like you, it is the pump im almost sure of it that was my end result. it still worked just not as well i think the older tbi systems run about 11-13lbs of pressure mine was just weak making it run like crap, but just enough to keep it going. i also had no shrader valve making it suck thats why it was the last tihng i did, i took it to a shop and they told me it was the computer, i didnt want to drop over 1k on it so i spent 50 bucks and got a carter pump ran like a champ after
Old February 16th, 2009, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

Will do and tyvm. It's greatly appreciated
Old February 22nd, 2009, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

let me know what happens
Old February 23rd, 2009, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

Well, i replaced the fuel pump and that fixed the problem.
Thxs for helping out, i greatly appreciate it.
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

yeah i did the same thing replaced a bunch of parts, then my tranny blew up, so i spent the 2200 for a new one, then my engine blew up few months later, oil pump went out tossed a rod but i replaced that too all new, so i should be good to go for a wile