Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2002 malibu passlock

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2011, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 malibu passlock

My wifes 2002 Malibu is having passlock problems. It's been going on for some time now. The car will not start, she has to wait ten minutes and then it will let her start it.
I've heard that some install a remote starter, some have a way to bypass the system. Some even bite the bullet and bring it to the dealer.
Whats the best (and cheapest) way to fix this problem?
Old September 27th, 2011, 6:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I don't know about "cheapest" but it's usually the ignition switch and lock cylinder (rekeyed to the existing keys) together that need replacing on the Malibu of that generation. I'm assuming that you yourself won't be doing the work, whatever it entails. You may want to call an automotive locksmith as well as the dealership service department for a quote or two. Just explain the symptoms and let them give you an idea of the most likely repair costs.
Old September 27th, 2011, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default modules

How about those bypass modules that are sold all over. How well do they work?
Old September 27th, 2011, 7:22 PM
CF Veteran

If you don't care about the theft deterrence, they work fine in theory. Just don't screw up the installation or you'll be towing it in.
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

I didn't mean to be brusque but I guess I showed my prejudice against those things since they are pure rip-offs even at a buck or two. Now, the symptom you describe is usually a Passlock tamper condition. It can be caused by a faulty ignition switch or lock cylinder. When the electrical contacts inside the ignition switch wear out, the voltage to the BCM may fluctuate which can wreak havoc with the sensed Passlock signal. On the other hand, a faulty lock cylinder, worn out or otherwise, will cause the Passlock sensor to declare a tamper condition by simulating the lock cylinder being forced. This is why it's a good idea to replace both together at the same time.

In short, bypass modules work fine in theory but your success will depend on the condition of the ignition switch and lock cylinder. What you can presently try is, turn the key on, give it a minute for everything to settle down, and then turn it to start. If that eliminated the ten-minute wait, it'd prove the ignition switch is on its last leg. Also, lighten the key chain to a bare minimum since the weight of the key chain will interfere with turning of the lock cylinder.
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:41 PM
CF Beginner

OK EinST, we'll try what you say. thanks.
Old December 1st, 2011, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

I had problems with my impala not starting I used a bypass module from new rockies and it worked perfectly it bypassed all the parts of the system. Never have a problem again check it out here http://newrockies.com?ap_id=scp8333