Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2003 Malibu battery problem, help!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2006, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Malibu battery problem, help!!!

Today I was at the gas station and have never had a single problem with the car dying on me. As I attempted to the turn the ignition to leave the gas station, I got nothing. The car just would not turn over. The dash and everything was lit up and on. There were no warning signs at all, no battery light, nothing. The guy filling up in front of me was courteous enough to give me a jump so I could drive the 5 miles back to my house. When I got there, I let the car sit for a while, tried it and it started right up. I did this maybe 5-6 times today...just walked outside and started her right up. I have NO idea what happened and I'm scared that it's going to happen again in a worse spot. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I don't think it's the alternator or the battery light would have come on, wouldn't it have? Doesn't that happen when the battery is dead? Besides, everything INSIDE the car worked?! Odd.
Old July 24th, 2006, 7:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2003 Malibu battery problem, help!!!

Have you even looked to see if the terminals are tight? Drive it to an autozone or an advanced auto parts and have the battery, alt, and starter tested for free.
Old July 25th, 2006, 2:25 AM
CF Senior Member

It could be the connections, but if you had full power in the car I would think it would be more of a starter solenoid, or possibly it wasn't all the way in park and the neutral safety wasn't engaged to send current to your starter. I would guess something like that as it started when you jumped it. Did you touch the gearshift at all between trying to start it and starting it when you jumped it? I would also check your connections too. I would worry more about the starter connections then the bat, but make sure they are all clean and tight.
Let us know what you find.
Old October 8th, 2006, 1:10 PM
CF Pro Member

Just because all the dash lights work doesn't mean there is enough cranking amps to start the vehicle.
The dash lights only draw a small amount of current ( ~1 amp ) whereas the starter can draw up wards to 60 amps.

First check the condition of the battery terminals for corrosion the the cables to see if loose or corroded.

Have the battery load tested. This will tell if the battery is weak and / or not able to hold a charge.

Old September 27th, 2021, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2017 Malibu. It does not have an ignition switch it has a push button. And this car has done that to me three times now with no warning whatsoever you will drive it and it has the Auto Stop on it where it shuts the engine off to conserve fuel. The only thing I can come up with on mine it's the battery for some reason will get low and I don't know why the alternator is not charging it but you'll pull in somewhere and stop and when it goes to Auto Stop it will not restart due to the fact the battery is below voltage at least that's what I found so far.
Old September 28th, 2021, 11:17 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

If your battery cables are clean and tight, have the battery checked. It is not unusual for a battery to start the engine some times and sometimes not. I cannot get a battery to last more than 2 1/2 to 3 years now.
Old September 28th, 2021, 3:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Battery cable connections at the battery can fool even an experienced tech. They can look good and still have a layer of corrosion between the battery and the attached cable.
Looking at them does nothing ! They need to be removed cleaned and reinstalled.
That is the only way to be sure other than doing a voltage drop check.
Old October 6th, 2021, 1:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by pj2k3
Today I was at the gas station and have never had a single problem with the car dying on me. As I attempted to the turn the ignition to leave the gas station, I got nothing. The car just would not turn over. The dash and everything was lit up and on. There were no warning signs at all, no battery light, nothing. The guy filling up in front of me was courteous enough to give me a jump so I could drive the 5 miles back to my house. When I got there, I let the car sit for a while, tried it and it started right up. I did this maybe 5-6 times today...just walked outside and started her right up. I have NO idea what happened and I'm scared that it's going to happen again in a worse spot. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I don't think it's the alternator or the battery light would have come on, wouldn't it have? Doesn't that happen when the battery is dead? Besides, everything INSIDE the car worked?! Odd.

I am a mechanic by trade heavy equipment mechanic but yet mechanic I have a 2017 Malibu it has done this exact same thing 3 * 4 * now I cannot explain it all that I can say is for some reason the computer does not allow the batteryto get be charged . How old is your battery? Even though it has give no signs or symptoms of a bad battery you must be careful to make sure your battery is not bad if you're certain that it is good at what I do is keep my display on battery that is why I know the voltage in the battery mine has Auto Stop and when I stopped at the stoplight the engine died for Auto Stop and would not restart my car done this when it was 6 months old I took it back to the dealer they said the battery was bad at out of warranty I bought a battery put it in the trunk and hauled that battery around for over 2 years. I am still driving with the original battery I have since used the battery that I bought as a backup and once a month I put my car on the charger for 2 amps until the battery is charged up. Since I have started doing that my car has not quit me don't know if your problem is related to this but I have seen several vehicles in this forum doing this I say it's a computer glitch and something we just have to deal with that as a consumer best wishes to you hope that helps