Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2008 Malibu Remote Start Timeout

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2008, 12:52 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 2008 Malibu Remote Start Timeout

ORIGINAL: been_nice_today_81

I know my '06 can be reprogrammed by GM for longer than 10 minutes but i think they'll only go up to 15 minutes. My issue is more in the summer when you want the inside to not be 500 degrees before you get in.
well If I can warm mine up in 10 minutes from -40, then Im sure 10 minutes will cool it down a bit...
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chevy Mali 08

think of it as a gas saver...every 15 minutes of idling is a gallon of gas wasted. you should of got the optional block heater
Idling doesn't burn this much fuel, at least not when the engine is warm. Consider that on the highway you'll burn a gallon about every 20-25 minutes. When the engine's cold, though, I suppose it could burn through this much fuel.
Old February 14th, 2008, 2:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jonsey5484

Thanks for the info. I did know that you can reset the 10 min anytime, but it is just a pain in the butt. This morning it was below 0 with the wind chill and I had to let it run for 20 minutes just to defrost the front window.
if it takes 20 minutes to defrost you window something is wrong, at -35 to -45 mine is defrosted in about 4 -5 minutes MAX with 3 inches of snow on it....maybe turn the heat on to defrost and turn the temp UP at night before you leave the car for the night, so when you start it it is blowing HOT on the DEFROST setting.

----On that note I have NEVER, EVER, EVER plugged it in....in 2 years. NEVER.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 6:37 AM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: MalibuMaxxSS

ORIGINAL: Chevy Mali 08

think of it as a gas saver...every 15 minutes of idling is a gallon of gas wasted. you should of got the optional block heater
It does have a block heater but they dont come on till -18 now, and they HARDLY keep the block anywhere neer warm like the ones of old, my Jeep I fire itan heat instantly...the car not so much, still needs to run for a bit......-49 here yesterday with wind chill so ya C starts are mandatory in the north climate....period period period....
GM has been using block heater cords with a thermostatic cutoff switch in the plug end of the cord.
If this thermostat doesn't cutoff power .... the block heater warms the engine too much.
When this happens you could end up with error codes indicating overheating and starting issues.

If the cord end is in the cold wind the thermostatic cutoff may not warm enough to work. Relocating it to an engine bracket or coolant hose will help this thermostat in the cord stay warm and help with better operation.
Old March 9th, 2008, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: Jonsey5484

Hey everyone. I just got my 2008 Malibu last week. GM did an awesome job on the design. I traded in my 2005 Monte Carlo SS. Although I loved the Monte Carlo, it is much easier to get my baby in and out of a carseat in a 4 door! I have only one complaint with the car so far, the remote start times out after 10 minutes! It is a nice feature to have it shut off after a period of time in case you forgot about it, but 10 minutes?? I live in Wisconsin and 10 minutes in Jan and Feb is hardly enough time to start blowing warm air out of the vents. I had an aftermarket remote start system in the MC and I would let it run for at least 15 minutes when it is subzero temps. I like getting into a warm car. Anyone know if this is changable?? Please let me know. Thanks.

Brandon
I believe the owners manual says you can extend the first 10 minute time, by pressing the remote sequence again before it times out...but only for another 10 minutes. So, you could keep it running close to 20 minutes if I'm reading that right.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

It comes down to personel preference. I have the same issue with my 07 suburban. Since the cold hit here in Madison Wisconsin I have been searching the internet trying to find out if it was possible to extend the run time. I noticed that the new advance remote start system can be programmed to run up to 25 minutes at a time. I'm not real fond of the cell phone sized key fob but am considering it just for the extended run time. As I mentioned it would be my preference to burn the extra gas and suffer the extra engine wear and tear to have my vehicle toasty warm and not to have to remember that I need to restart it after 10 minutes.

I'll be putting a call into my dealer after the holidays to see what they will do for me.

Dan
Old December 28th, 2008, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Hi everyone, first time posting here.
I would love to be able to extend the time on my 07 malibu. I live in Alberta and weeks of -20 with windchills in the -30s and -40s are not uncommon. Even with it plugged in and running through both 10 minute cycles the windows aren't always clear. I can't picture it taking 1 10 minute cycle to clear things as 10 minutes on any command start I have had on any vehicle has ever been enough. Its not snow thats the trouble its the frost that can barely be removed by scrapping. Lost mileage be damned, i have been getting 40 to 45 mpg on the highway which in my mind makes up for the times I have to let it idle for extended periods. Does anyone know for sure if there IS a way to make it run longer?

Randy
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

Damn y'all!!! That's cold enough to freeze the ***** off a brass monkey! Gotta think GM has a solution to this (like software reflash to make it 20 minutes). Send those R&D guys at GM a bunch of e-mails. And remember Jonsey, take real good care of the wee one so's the Gran's can spoil him or her.
Old January 31st, 2010, 4:17 AM
CF Beginner

Default Malibu Timeout

I have owned my 2006 Malibu LT for 3.5 years now. I live in Calgary, Alberta where the temp this winter has been -20C to -35C several days this and the previous month. Not once have I plugged my car in, in all these years. Even when I was up is Saskatoon where it got down to -50C. The family that I was staying with lived about 40 kilometers south of there. They plugged their late model Mustang in everynight, but preferred to ride with me as by the time we hit the highway, we were peeling clothing off as it was toastie warm. With their Mustang, even with it plugged in, they were lucky if it was luke warm by the time they were half the way to Saskatoon.

During the winter months I use a lighter weight oil than recommended. My only point of contention is that you can only use the remote start twice before trudging out and starting it manually. Bummer. The length of time that it is on has not been an issue as, as stated, the car is nice and warm.

I saw a post earlier that mentioned when sittiing at idle, the MPG goes down. I don't think very many people care about MPG in the winter as with the slick ice and snow covered roads, MPG goes out the door anyway.

Now if someone could come up with a proximitry sensor so that when you start the car remotely and open the door, it does not time out but keeps running as it knows you're going to put the key in.