Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2009 Malibu Gas issues

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2009, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Malibu Gas issues

I recently bought a 2009 Malibu. I love the car. The only thing I have noticed is about the fuel guage. When I first got it, the fuel gauge never showed that I had a full tank. It would show 3/4 full. So I took it in and they fixed it. Then when I got close to empty the car said I had 60 milkes to empty then the car would run out of gas with no warning lights. So I took it back and they tinkered with it for 2 days. They said they fixed it. Then I ran out again with no warning. The gas gauge showed 1/4 of a tank. Already frustrated they said they will take care of it. Well, when I got close to empty I pressed the info button to see how many miles I had to empty. Thats when it said "Fuel Range Low". I usually stay on the reading that shows the temp and mileage. Is the car supposed to say Fuel Range Low at anytime you are low? THe gas guage will be on "E" but you get no other warning. I hope someone can shead some light on this for me.

Thanks
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:38 PM
CF Veteran

That's gotta be playing hell with your fuel pump! Running dry like that is a killer on in-tank pumps. Make sure those dealership guys provide you with a new pump to replace the damaged one they can't seem to fix. The tech's here will help too.
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry to hear the you are having problems. To answer your question, yes, the DIC (Driver Information Center) has a fuel range feature. With any significant amount of gas in your car, it will attempt to calculate an estimated fuel range based on your averaged usage. When you have approximately 50 kilmoters (30 miles) or less, the message "Fuel Range Low" will be displayed rather than an estimated fuel range.

You should also notice that at this fuel level when you start your car, the DIC will display "Low Fuel" until you hit the Info button on your steering wheel to acknowledge the message. After which, your temp and milage will be displayed again. Also, if I remember correctly, there is an amber light near the fuel gauge that will stay lit despite acknowledging the DIC screen (so basically this is a warning you cannot overide). It will only go away after putting fuel in your vehicle.

Hope this answers your question.
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

My question still remains.....did running the fuel tank empty twice ruin the fuel pump??
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

These new fuel pumps have a higher tolerance to dry-running than the older ones. I doubt it hurt it too much.
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks Brent...my wife fried the one in my old 02 Malibu on a trip to Amarillo once("I just don't look at the gauges!!) so I'm touchy about running the tank dry. Hope the dealership fixes it though.