Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2009 Malibu gas tank leak!

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2012, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2009 Malibu gas tank leak!

Not sure if this is the right area but here it goes!
I noticed not too long ago a gas order coming from the rear of my car. (the engine is off/car is parked). When I first notice the smell, I could not see any leaks from underneath. That was few days ago, but today I notice a wetness on the metal frame around the gas tank! Then along the side of the gas tank I notice a shine (black) different from the rest of the tank. My question where could this leak be coming from?
Old August 31st, 2012, 12:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kdkaire
Not sure if this is the right area but here it goes!
I noticed not too long ago a gas order coming from the rear of my car. (the engine is off/car is parked). When I first notice the smell, I could not see any leaks from underneath. That was few days ago, but today I notice a wetness on the metal frame around the gas tank! Then along the side of the gas tank I notice a shine (black) different from the rest of the tank. My question where could this leak be coming from?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Malibu vehicle. I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by your local dealer for additional information.

Is the vehicle still under warranty?

Please feel free to contact me privately if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2009 chevy malibu gas tank leak

I am having this same issue and have found it to be leaking somewhere around the top of the tank where the fuel pump and sensor goes into the tank. Has anyone else had this same issue and is it a common issue? How do I pull the tank to get to it to repair the leak?

Greg
Old November 2nd, 2012, 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

I would just take it to the dealer. May not be a DIY. Messing with the gas tank can be dangerous.
Old November 8th, 2012, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Wife has a 08 and check engine light keep coming on so on star said it was emissions issue took it to our mech and he did a complete test and found gas tank was leaking from top of tank. Also found all parts were rusted to all hell and full of water. Have replace everything. Now we have a pop sound when she fills it up... One thing after another with POS!!!!
Old June 18th, 2014, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

I was wondering if you found out what this issue was. I have the same model car and the same problem,

Thanks.
Old June 21st, 2014, 6:46 PM
Official GM Rep

Hi shanem,

I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this concern. Feel free to send us a private message and we will be glad to contact your dealership on your behalf regarding this. In the message please include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name if the extra help is needed. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 7th, 2014, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same Gas Leaking Problem

Just wanted to post here that my friend is having the exact same problem with her '09 Chevy Malibu. We are going to Three Way Chevrolet in Bakersfield, CA tomorrow to try to address this issue. Apparently it is common and GM refuses to recall. I learned my lesson after my '06 Chevy Cobalt died because the same dealership refused to change the timing chain saying that it would be "good for years to come." Buy foreign or pay the price!
Old July 8th, 2014, 7:28 AM
Official GM Rep

Hello,

We are sorry to hear your friend is experiencing this concern! Please keep us posted on the dealership visit. If further assistance is needed, we are happy to help.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by shonsssss
Just wanted to post here that my friend is having the exact same problem with her '09 Chevy Malibu. We are going to Three Way Chevrolet in Bakersfield, CA tomorrow to try to address this issue. Apparently it is common and GM refuses to recall. I learned my lesson after my '06 Chevy Cobalt died because the same dealership refused to change the timing chain saying that it would be "good for years to come." Buy foreign or pay the price!
Old July 11th, 2014, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default Dealership Doesn't Care

Went to local Three-Way Chevrolet dealership concerning leaking fuel pump. They offered to replace it for $1200. My concern is that if they replace it with another defective pump that gas vapors may leak later and lead to a fire or explosion. The guy at Three-Way (Alex in the service department) said that when parts fail it is normal to put someone in danger. He gave an example that if your brakes fail it could be dangerous or if a tire blows it could lead to injuries and that the dealership is not responsible. He released the car to us and didn't say a word about not driving it. The car still operates and there is no check engine light or any sign that anything is wrong except for the gas vapors that one can smell when fuel is in the tank. Not all people have the same sense of smell!! When GM claims that they did not know about dangers in their cars because their service reps did not tell them, I believe GM! I took in my 2006 Cobalt multiple times for the engine turning off while driving and Three Way never fixed it and never told GM. All they see is revenue, apparently they have never heard of the word LIABILITY. Contacting NHTSA and GM defense lawyers now! Thank You!

Quick Reply: 2009 Malibu gas tank leak!