Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2009 Malibu gas tank leak!

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2015, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2009 Chevy Malibu multiple potentially dangerous problems

My 2009 Malibu has just developed a strong odor of gas near gas tank and check engine light is on, also got a gas cap message on dash. Mechanic says it is leaking gas, needs new fuel system cost about $1,000. My automatic door locks stopped working on the back doors a year ago. The passenger side works sometimes or acts like it worked but when you try to open the door it won't open all the way the driver's side doesn't work at all. took it to Richland Chevrolet was told it was a common problem with air actuator cost of part $400. One of the tire monitors was broken at tire shop and replaced a couple years ago, since then I have had it fixed a couple of times and never works for long, have the service tire monitor on all of the time. Had a recall service at Richland Chevrolet about a month ago and have had ignition problems since, couldn't get the key out once. Oh and while I am on the key, had the car 2 years before the key fob stopped working when I opened it to put in new battery the battery holder had broken off, my son soldered it back together but it broke again soon after. Had a cracked exhaust manifold just before my warranty was up. Really tired of problems
Old July 1st, 2017, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas smell

I have 2011 malibu that recently spent over two weeks at dealer to find reason why engine light kept coming on. After tearing down top half of my motor. .. still not really sure what the problem was but it was fixed. Right from beginning i told them it seamed to go on and off when i went below quarter tank of gas...and off when i put gas in.
well now i smell gas. There is nothing leaking underneath ....i am so upset!! I only have car little over one year and i really love this car! Any ideas??