Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Alarm system Failure after Rain Storm

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2012, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm system Failure after Rain Storm

This has happened before but has never been this hard to fix.

In the past it has gotten wet on the passenger side of my vehicle. I've let it dry out for a few days and everything has been fine. This time though it's been almost 2 weeks and it still isn't working.

What's happening is the Key FOB doesn't unlock the vehicle or pop the trunk so i use my key to open the door. That action causes the alarm to go off.

I've tried to do the key reset but it doesn't recognize the key at all.

1. Just wondering what is getting wet that would cause this?
2. Why isn't it acting like before and just drying out?
3. Where is the water coming in from?

thanks for your help in advance
Old May 15th, 2012, 6:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Water inside the cabin? I think it's about time you took it in for service. Otherwise, you can expect more and more electrical gremlins the longer you wait.
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

i've taken it to a couple shops and everytime they have gotten to working on it there's nothing wrong and i get charged for a diagnostic that came up with nothing.
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

I don't know if I can help with the leak without seeing it for myself. How wet did it get? After a rain? After using A/C? Any collisions involving the passenger side? Is there a sunroof, and if so factory?
Old May 16th, 2012, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

how wet? - a puddle on the passsanger floor mat....not just wet...there was standing water

it was after a heavy rain (vehicle was parked at my shop)

not using a/c

no vehicle accidents at all

no sunroof

alarm system is factory
Old May 16th, 2012, 5:35 PM
CF Veteran

So, you're saying "a couple shops" you took it to couldn't find the source of the water leak? This isn't going to be easy, then. Until you fix the leak, there's no point in chasing after electrical gremlins. If you feel like getting your hands dirty:

Take the sound insulator panel off from underneath the passenger side dash and then look for telltale signs of water intrusion (water stains, rust on exposed metal surfaces, bolts, and screws).

Open the hood and inspect the side and base of the windshield as well as the air inlet grille panel in the cowl area. Look for missing adhesive or damaged seals, cracks, gaps, etc.

Spray water in suspect areas and see if you can narrow it down.
Old May 17th, 2012, 1:23 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> It is difficult to say without inspecting the vehicle. A few possibilities are voids (of sealer) in the "A" pillar along the windshield, void in the seam sealer in the baffle area behind the passenger fender, void in the seam sealer at the tab in the passenger wheelhouse or voids in the seam in the crowl at the front of the door area of the passenger side. These are just suggestions and are not meant as a diagnosis.

I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

Louis
GM Customer Service