Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Dash cleaning and protection????

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2012, 1:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dash cleaning and protection????

I have a question for owners regarding cleaning/protection for the dash. I am up in the air about this in general about all vehicles but since I own a 2012 Malibu I would seek advice here. I live in southern NC which as you know has really high summer temps. I always see older cars with cracked/sun damaged dashes. I LOVE the look/shine of a dash that has been treated with a generous amout of amor all, which is also good protection. My problem with this I have noticed over the years is that the amor all evaporates and ends up an oily layer of ungliness on the inside of your winshield that takes what seems like 1000 window washings to get off.

So, I guess my question is. What can I use to clean the dash and protect it that will not end up doing this? Do they make some kind of cleaning wipes that also have a protectant in it?? Any advise would be great, thanks!
Old November 4th, 2012, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Hey, settle down folks, too many people responding at once
Old November 4th, 2012, 7:46 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I would use caution with Armor-all or any treatment to the dash... some dashes are painted.. and if that painted surface is nicked and the armor-all or other silicone base protectant gets under the paint... it starts to de-laminate or peel...
I use only warm water to clean my dash with and do not use any treatments other then a sun shade
If you are certain your dash is solid plastic the Armor-all may be okay..
the Tahoe has had problems with the dashes cracking and some folks have been refused repair because they said they used a protectant on it and GM said that was the cause of the cracking (not so, its a known defect but its a way out for them)
Old November 5th, 2012, 7:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Buy a dash pad to protect it. I bought one when I bought the truck and never had any problems with the dash cracking and it gets pretty hot here in Florida.
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Armor All has silicon in it. It will crack your dash over time. I use mothers products most of the time. They contain no silicon, only oils, and smell pretty good as well. Water is good but it will not give you the sparkle some products will. Armor all sucks!

Last edited by wehavetoliveit; November 21st, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old November 21st, 2012, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

MOTHERS:
Hazordous Decomp Materials: N/A

ARMOR ALL:
Hazordous Decomp Materials: Thermal decomposition will generate oxides of carbon and silicon and formaldehyde.
Old November 21st, 2012, 2:08 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Probably why it leaves a haze on the inside of the windshield
Old December 10th, 2012, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

I use the Meguiars Natural shine, I found the Supreme Shine puts to much of a reflection of the top of the dashboard into the windshield for my taste.