Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Does my 2012 Malibu LS have remote start?

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2016, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does my 2012 Malibu LS have remote start?

About 6 months ago I purchased a slightly used 2012 Malibu LS. According to the GM window information papers the vehicle has remote start included as a factory installed option. Unfortunately my fob is a 4 button and according to GM systems it is the correct one. My question is, how can I find out for sure that my vehicle does not have the remote start already installed? I was told that installation consists of mere programming to the already existing equipment, does anyone know if this is true? If so, how can I get this information programmed so that the system will work. I have spoken with a local dealership which has given me nothing but problems and wants to install an aftermarket system, which makes no sense to me if the vehicle already has the capabilities. If someone could let me know what needs to be done in order to make this a reality I would greatly appreciate it.
Old December 21st, 2021, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

My son has the same year make and model, I just found out recently that he has a remote start as well even though his key fob doesn't have the "circle arrow"... on his he hits the lock button 3 times and it will start his malibu. Hope this works!!
Old January 8th, 2022, 4:57 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Angelsmom
About 6 months ago I purchased a slightly used 2012 Malibu LS. According to the GM window information papers the vehicle has remote start included as a factory installed option. Unfortunately my fob is a 4 button and according to GM systems it is the correct one. My question is, how can I find out for sure that my vehicle does not have the remote start already installed? I was told that installation consists of mere programming to the already existing equipment, does anyone know if this is true? If so, how can I get this information programmed so that the system will work. I have spoken with a local dealership which has given me nothing but problems and wants to install an aftermarket system, which makes no sense to me if the vehicle already has the capabilities. If someone could let me know what needs to be done in order to make this a reality I would greatly appreciate it.
I know this is old but it might help someone. Your key fob should have the extra button at the top. Our 2012 Malibu 2LT has one and works just fine. You can also get a window sticker from Maroney labels for $8 that is identical to the factory sticker and shows all your options.