Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Major problems with 03 Malibu

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2007, 5:10 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Major problems with 03 Malibu

I going with myoriginal it being the rack not the struts, struts usuall pop AND creak very bad wehn they go and your car will usally 'bounce' the rack will pop and crack while turning...take it to a dealer and have them check the steering rack for you...bet you lunch that what it is
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you hear the popping soundwhen you turn the steering wheel with the car parked and engine running?
If yes, then it might be the rack. If not (and you hear the sound only when the car is moving) I think is the transaxle.
There is one way to test it, but you have to be very careful. You have to suspend the front wheels, engage the parking brake and start the engine. Then put in the lowest gear and let the wheels spin without pushing the gas pedal. Now steer full left (and later right) and listen for the noise. Make sure to see which transaxle makes the noise and ask the shop to change only that one. They probably will insist in changing both (and charging you double), but I wouldn't do it.
Good luck!
Old May 4th, 2007, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

I also have a 2003 Malibu and have had the EXACT same problem with the popping. I've been told it was the struts, bearings, rack and pinion, and so on and so on. Today I FINALLY got the answer!!!

It is the strut spring seat. It looks like a rubber ring around the middle of the spring. The parts cost around 37.00 a piece but the labor is what is so expensive.

I am attaching a picture of my spring with an arrow pointing to it so you can take it and show the mechanic and see what he thinks on your car.

I hope this helps. I know how frustrating it is. Just makes you want to cry!!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 6:00 PM
dbm
CF Beginner

Have you examined the half shafts and CV boots? If the CV boot is not intact then the CV joint will dry out and be very noisy when you turn corners.
Old May 26th, 2007, 4:46 AM
CF Beginner

the Chevrolet's motto is
solid like a rock !!
ÕáÈÉ ßÇáÕÎÜÜÜÜÜÑ!!
but what we see is the opposite!!!! I have a 2000 Malibu with the same problems and more!!!
Old May 29th, 2007, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

It's me again. I had the strut spring seats replaced and the car ran fine for 3 days and then the popping came back. Luckily, the repair shop honors their work and they worked on my car for FREE for a solid week before saying the problem was something else. I had to pay to replace the strut mounts.

I am going on 2 weeks with no noise.

Maybe this would help.
Old May 30th, 2007, 7:37 AM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: kinicto03

Luckily, the repair shop honors their work and they worked on my car for FREE for a solid week before saying the problem was something else. I had to pay to replace the strut mounts.

I am going on 2 weeks with no noise.

Maybe this would help.
It doesn't sound like it was fixed for free.

Glad you got it resolved.
Old June 5th, 2007, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like you might have been ripped off. I used to have a 97 Malibu that ran to over 200K miles and most of the work done to that was normal wear and tear maint. I now have an 06 Malibu and I love it. For the most part, they are good cars.

Is the noise on yours coming from the front or rear of the car? If it's coming from the front, I'd have the CV joints checked out.
If it's coming from the rear it may be the shock mounts
[align=left] [/align]
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

There's a little bit of popping in my '01 Malibu, but it's been in every non-Saturn GM I've ever driven, so I assumed it was a problem with GM :s And it's not enough to make me nervous.

I would check into the the lemon laws of your state, this sounds like a fairly clear case for you to get your purchase price, and your repair expendatures refunded by the dealer. I paid $6100 for my '01 with 60k miles on it.

Sorry you're having such bad luck! I drove my last car for a month before the engine exploded! and now I'm in the Malibu!
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:27 AM
CF Pro Member

Not sure about the lemon law ... doesn't that apply to new cars only?

Quick Reply: Major problems with 03 Malibu