Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

P0010 Check Engine code, dealer can't fix

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2018, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0010 Check Engine code, dealer can't fix

Just bought an '11 2LT and the check engine light came on the same night after buying the car. I've now been back two separate occasions when they claim to have fixed, but the light keeps coming back on. Same code every time P0010, camshaft position solenoid. Is this dealer actually trying to fix or are they just clearing the check engine light and hoping for the best? I now have to go back a third time. The head mechanic there tells me he's going to consult with someone with specific chevy knowledge and get back to me.
Old August 27th, 2018, 4:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by kjjb0204
Just bought an '11 2LT and the check engine light came on the same night after buying the car. I've now been back two separate occasions when they claim to have fixed, but the light keeps coming back on. Same code every time P0010, camshaft position solenoid. Is this dealer actually trying to fix or are they just clearing the check engine light and hoping for the best? I now have to go back a third time. The head mechanic there tells me he's going to consult with someone with specific chevy knowledge and get back to me.
Possible causes for the P0010 code include a faulty oil control valve (OCV), a short or open circuit in the VVT, OCV, or VCT circuits, or a low oil level/pressure condition. Might even be the ECM.

No way of knowing about the dealer erasing codes. Have you maintained the engine oil levels and oil changes? Its very important to take care of your engine these days. Not blaming you for this, but VVT, turbochargers, EGR and lots of other things put a real burden on the engine and the engine lubricants these days.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; August 28th, 2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old August 27th, 2018, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for that. I've owned the car for three weeks and the dealer told me they did an oil change .
Old August 27th, 2018, 4:15 PM
CF Monarch

Thanks for that. I've owned the car for three weeks and the dealer told me they did an oil change .
Dealers lie all the time, and that a fact. And some use the cheapest oil and filter possible too. Not good in a modern engine. Since you haven't owned the car long
you dont know how the former owners treated it either.
Old August 27th, 2018, 7:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Yep, look at the dipstick. That sensor my no be able to read the cam shaft gear, or could be a faulty sensor as stated.
Old August 30th, 2018, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

UGH, now I have a P0171 check engine code. I've had the car for 3 weeks and have been back to the dealer 3 times now, with a fourth coming this weekend. Joys of buying a used car or did the dealer rip me off?
Old August 30th, 2018, 3:06 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Did you buy this with a warrenty?
Old August 30th, 2018, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Did you buy this with a warrenty?
90 day powertrain warranty
Old August 30th, 2018, 5:35 PM
CF Monarch

UGH, now I have a P0171 check engine code. I've had the car for 3 weeks and have been back to the dealer 3 times now, with a fourth coming this weekend. Joys of buying a used car or did the dealer rip me off?

Could be a bad MAF sensor if you are getting a code P0171. ECM thinks its running lean. Let the dealer repair it.
Old September 2nd, 2018, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Dealers lie all the time, and that a fact. And some use the cheapest oil and filter possible too. Not good in a modern engine.
dealer would only stock oem factor filters...not worth there time or cost to buy cheap parts from a jobber and have it shipped over. They don't have a separate tank for cheap oil...its a dexos oil requirement engine....makes no sense to me to fake it for their cost of the oil.

if the used car is sold under the gm used car certification inspection program...only gm parts can be used and installed.

to the op...yes, Its sucks...let the dealer work through it.