Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

P0010 Check Engine code, dealer can't fix

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2018, 5:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
dealer would only stock oem factor filters...not worth there time or cost to buy cheap parts from a jobber and have it shipped over. They don't have a separate tank for cheap oil...its a dexos oil requirement engine....makes no sense to me to fake it for their cost of the oil.

if the used car is sold under the gm used car certification inspection program...only gm parts can be used and installed.

to the op...yes, Its sucks...let the dealer work through it.
Tech2,

I should have been more specific when I used the term "Dealership:, tech2. I apologize for that.I was
speaking more in general terms as to dealerships of various kinds, not just to vehicle dealerships.

I didn't mean to knock down GM or Chevrolet nor any Chevy dealership at all, but some the vehicle salespersons at all brands of vehicle dealerships have been known to "streach the truth", since as far back as I can remember and that goes back in time
to the 1960's. No, I am not a young man anymore.

Of course we are speaking of the repair and parts departments here, not the new and used vehicle sales department of a factory dealership, no matter what brand it might be a part of since most new car dealerships these days deal in the sales of other brands as well, unlike it was when I was still young.

For instance I bought my 2015 Chevrolet Malibu from a KIA dealership as a low mile used car, not
a Chevrolet or GM dealership, as they had what I wanted, but I had to negotiate the price I was willing to pay to achieve the sale of the vehicle, else I would have left and gone elsewhere to purchase a
Chevy Malibu, that would meet my expectations.

BTW, I haven't purchased a new light vehicle. other then various motorcycles, in over 20 years now. My vehicles last a long time, until I decide to trade up.

Not that I can't afford to do so but I am a cheap SOB and don't like paying more then I have to and having to finance a new vehicle through a new car dealership , a banking financial institution or from an independent used car dealerships financing. Paying cash works for me, as I don't need to boost my high credit rating, which buying a new vehicle can help one achieve.

I saved well over $ 4000 dollars by not buying a new Chevrolet Malibu and having a non-turbocharged 2.5 liter 197 HP motor, which I love! It well exceeds the HWY listed MPG of 36 MPG by 5 to 10 MPG, so I save money on fuel costs as well. I often exceed
40 MPG at 70 MPH and at 55 MPH, I can get get up past 50 miles per gallon of Regular grade gasoline. It's a shame that Chevrolet discontinued the 2.5 liter engine in the Malibu series of Chevrolet light cars in 2016, IMO.

I really hope that GM would reconsid but it looks
like hybrid and DC powered vehicles are going to replace 100 % petroleum fueled & powered vehicles. Might be my next GM purchase will be the Volt or a Chevrolet much like it. It is very nice looking car, of the sedan style I like, to be certain.

But beyond that future outcome, I also enjoy working on my own vehicles, using my own lubricants, fllters and parts, until the electrical
power stations become commonplace, which
hasn't occurred very fast in the United States.

I am used to wheeling and dealing, being the part
owner of a Chevron fuel and lubricants wholesale jobber/dealership franchise many years ago now. That is where my knowledge of fuels and lubricants comes from. Buying fuel and lubricants at the lowest cost was a small part of my duties, so I know how to get the best deal, no matter what brand or product that it might be, not just cars, services or car parts.

I have purchased many parts at Chevrolet and GMC dealerships, as well as brand new vehicles, over the many years of my life and career, in piont of fact,

But back to the purchase and sales of petroleum products as I mentioned in the stickied thread about top-tier fuels such as gasoline, particularly in the knowledfe if Chevron fuels and their Techron fuel deposit cleaning additive, which really does work to keep engine carbonization and other engine and fuel sysyem clean, as Chevron USA claims that it does. I no longer am in the sales of Chevron fuels, but only Chevron or other truly top-tier gasolines go into my light vehicle gasoline-powered fuel tanks.

Our former company would have many large, private and other non-faithful, non-route listed customers who bought fuel and lubricants in truck and trailer bulk quantities , which were 7500-9500 gallons or even much more, if bought in huge lot quantities of 100,000 gallons or even more higher gallon fuel volumes. That might sound like a lot of fuel to a single car owner, but large companies use a lot of fuel, so a half-cent per gallon, or CPG, adds up fast.Some companies use so much fuel that it's
delivered by railcar tanks, or in some cases by a direct pipeline.

Many airline terminals use pipelines to have fuel delivered to this day, but since pipelines can leak without testing, it's not as common to see such things new, unless it's a government agency, such as the armed forces, where the public has to pay for pipeline installation and the remediation of any leaks. Back when MTBE was used in many states, the cleanup of many old service station tank burials
is still being undergoing as I write this message.

These large purchasers of fuel will often buy product elsewhere, over one-half cents per gallon or even less, of premium, mid-grade and regular gasolines, as well as the different grades of diesel fuel, jet-fuel, aviation-gasoline, heating oil, kerosene or other petroleum fuels and heating oils. It was the same with large quantities of bulk lubricants, in which the extreme volumes of products were purchased at a locked-in price and delivered over the course of the contract's lifetime, if the customers tanks would not hold all if the product that they hadn't locked-in under a solid contact, on both parties sides, not just the purchaser, but the seller as well

If the price difference changed the contract would still require one or both parties to live up to the agreement or face heavy legal consequences and even fines.

​​​​In theory, one could even face jail for voiding such a contact, but USA leading corporations rarely have such a dire thing happen to any one such person or individuals, as the corporation is a legal entity, even if not really a "personhood", as such. Martha Stewart was/ had a corporation, but she only served five months behind bars for lying to the federal investigators, nothing more, but she is now a felon.

Back to topic:Some of our customers were indeed new vehicle dealerships, including Chevrolet dealerships, where we did purchase new vehicles, with the exception of semi-trucks, since Chevrolet did not sell very large diesel-powered vehicles, only medium-duty trucks, or two and one half ton trucks as they are called. They are used for small delivery to non paved road tank locations, of courss.

Due to many underground tank leakages and governmental/ environmental rules & costs, most dealerships now only use cardlock facilities to fuel their vehicles. Back in the day, many had 500 to 1000 gallon underground fuel tanks, but those days
are long gone, and only aboveground tanks are employed, using a concrete barrier to guard against any possible fuel leaks and fuel vapor containment.

We ran an honest business and we treated our customers very well, but when it comes to huge quantities of fuels, most of these companies didn't
need to have it explained to them that premium
fuels were not needed nor required by them and
almost all of them bought 87 octane gasoline.

​​​​​Still, many private customers would purchase Chevron 91 octane Supreme gasoline in small quantities, for use In their home fuel tanks in 500 to 1000 gallon fills, even though the engines they had only needed 87 octane regular grade gasoline, for instance. They were made aware of that, but many people still believe that high octane gasoline is betterthen regular, which in the case of Chevron Supreme was partially true, since it contained more
Techron back then. Nowadays it has the same amount of Techron, which was originally called Formula 310 or "F-310", as Chevron regular-grade Regular gasoline and Chevron mid-gade
​​​​​Plus gasoline.

These customers were most always people whose homes were not located in a city, but outside of towns, usually a farm or ranch, where the fuel tanks would be located, many on a tnk-stand, using gravity alone to fuel their vehicle's fuel tanks. I still miss those long gone days, when I was a much younger man and not an independent driver now

So as the old, now deceased talk radio-show host, Mr. Paul Harvey, would have said, "Now you know the rest of the story".
​​​​​

Last edited by oilcanhenry; September 2nd, 2018 at 6:59 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2018, 1:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

gotcha. And now I know where your screen name comes from.lol

the ev tech...I like it but until everybody goes mainstream, I'm holding back. the issue...trade in value $1. Nobody buys one when they go off warranty. Just like any battery powered tool...the battery costs more than the car.
Old September 3rd, 2018, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also wanted to clear up what I meant by dealership - this is an independent used car dealer.
Old September 4th, 2018, 4:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you get receipts,got to have a paper trail