Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Start-up problems...

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2011, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start-up problems...

So I've been reading the various threads and I'm scratching my head. My problem isn't really the same as others, and those that describe their problem aren't very descriptive. So I hope I can get some help form you fine folks

Anyway, I have a 1998 Malibu LS with a 3100 (3.1L) V6 in it. It was running perfectly until I parked it one night, and came out the next day to find it wouldn't start. It turns over just fine, but no sputtering or even an attempt to fire up. In looking at the dash, I noticed there are no indicator lights whatsoever when turning the key over into the start position. I mean, no lights whatsoever. All of the other accessories, etc work. Check of the fuse box shows no blown fuses.

I have a feeling that it may be the ignition key, as it's been sticking for a long time, and I've had to jiggle it to get it to turn into the start position (my guess the key is a duplicate and not cut correctly). But I'd like to check some other things first, and I'm also at a loss as to what to do to test and see if it is the ignition switch.

I see a lot of posts saying that the PassLock II system is at fault, some say the camshaft position sensor is to blame. I'm leaning toward PassLock, as you would think that the dash lights would come on if it was the CPS causing the issue. The symptoms here suggest the computer is dead or being bypassed / rendered non-working. Also, I floored it while turning it over (hearkening back to the days when I drove a 1973 Malibu) and smelled no gas.

Problem with the PassLock theory though is that there has been no Anti-Theft light come on or flash the entire time I have driven it. Do all Malibu cars from this era have PassLock? I don't have the manual anymore. How would I even know?

I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!
Old July 14th, 2011, 9:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The owner's manual for 1999 is online at http://content.gmownercenter.yahoo.c...ibu_owners.pdf. There were little changes between 1998 and 1999. Whether or not you have a Passlock problem depends on the behavior of the THEFT SYSTEM indicator in the instrument cluster. Also, you don't say if you had checked the fuel pressure (should be 41-47 psi with key on, engine off) or you heard the fuel pump prime with key on. After that, the general direction is, the CMP sensor if the fuel injectors are not clicking and CKP sensor if the spark plugs are not firing.
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a known issue with this vintage Malibu. Excess weight on the keyring causes stress on the igniton switch causing the contacts to go out of alignment. Simply, the ignition switch is worn out.