Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2015 | 6:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default "Special Coverage"

I took my 2010 Suburban into the local dealer after finding out that this reduced engine power problem is covered under "Special Coverage" and they replaced the throttle position sensor and i have not had any problems since.
Old February 5th, 2015 | 6:57 AM
vro
CF Beginner

I have 2011 Malibu and this happened to me last night. I was driving on ice/snow at a slow rate of speed, and I am luckily it did not happen on the interstate as so many have stated. Very dissapointed that Chevy hasn't fixed this issue - seems to be a MAJOR problem that a lot of Chevy owners are having.
Old February 5th, 2015 | 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by vro
I have 2011 Malibu and this happened to me last night. I was driving on ice/snow at a slow rate of speed, and I am luckily it did not happen on the interstate as so many have stated. Very dissapointed that Chevy hasn't fixed this issue - seems to be a MAJOR problem that a lot of Chevy owners are having.

Yes, it would be more better to leave you totally stranded on the side of the road when facing a major car malfunction. The car should totally shut off and place itself in park automatically.
Old February 5th, 2015 | 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 chevy malibu LT service esc/traction control, reduced engine power

My wife and I were in a hit and run crash due to this issue. she has a bad concussion (memory issues) and torn ligament in knee. Other vehicle fled. About a month prior, I Took vehicle to chevy dealer in Palmyra pa (Klick Lewis) and they said it was a bad map sensor and bad traction control sensor. They wanted $350 on top of $100 diagnostic fee. Chevy does not care and this will be the last chevy I own. its a shame because I was looking to get an equinox or possibly silverado. Obviously major wiring issues in these 2011 malibus, chevy step up and realize you put out a TERRIBLE product.

Last edited by benz3405; February 5th, 2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old February 5th, 2015 | 6:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by benz3405
My wife and I were in a hit and run crash due to this issue. she has a bad concussion (memory issues) and torn ligament in knee. Other vehicle fled. About a month prior, I Took vehicle to chevy dealer in Palmyra pa (Klick Lewis) and they said it was a bad map sensor and bad traction control sensor. They wanted $350 on top of $100 diagnostic fee. Chevy does not care and this will be the last chevy I own. its a shame because I was looking to get an equinox or possibly silverado. Obviously major wiring issues in these 2011 malibus, chevy step up and realize you put out a TERRIBLE product.
So you refused repairs? Nice.
Old February 6th, 2015 | 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default Unhelpful Comments

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
Yes, it would be more better to leave you totally stranded on the side of the road when facing a major car malfunction. The car should totally shut off and place itself in park automatically.
I don't think this type of comment is helpful. People on here are looking for solutions. What people are saying here is that there are obvious faulty parts on several Chevy models that are causing a recurring problem which puts drivers in danger. For me personally, it cost me thousands of dollars due to several repairs that did not solve the problem. They finally rewired the harness completely, which so far, has seemed to fix the problem. But, since this happened to me a total of 8 times, and I was almost in accidents several times because of this happening unexpectedly on the highway, I will never feel safe in my car again. Also, I believe that Chevy should have reimbursed me for the cost of the incorrect repairs as well as for hotel costs since I was stranded twice out of town and had to have the car towed to the nearest dealership and stay in a hotel(once on Christmas). I hardly ever drive my car now since I work from home and I don't drive other people in my car because I feel responsible for their safety and cannot guarantee this won't happen again. As soon as I am able, I plan to trade this car in and get another Honda Accord-I have had two of them and my husband drives one, and we both agree they have been the most reliable cars we have owned. Sadly, I am still shelling out a car payment on this car I hardly drive.
Old February 6th, 2015 | 7:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by greenfield3
I don't think this type of comment is helpful. People on here are looking for solutions. What people are saying here is that there are obvious faulty parts on several Chevy models that are causing a recurring problem which puts drivers in danger. For me personally, it cost me thousands of dollars due to several repairs that did not solve the problem. They finally rewired the harness completely, which so far, has seemed to fix the problem. But, since this happened to me a total of 8 times, and I was almost in accidents several times because of this happening unexpectedly on the highway, I will never feel safe in my car again. Also, I believe that Chevy should have reimbursed me for the cost of the incorrect repairs as well as for hotel costs since I was stranded twice out of town and had to have the car towed to the nearest dealership and stay in a hotel(once on Christmas). I hardly ever drive my car now since I work from home and I don't drive other people in my car because I feel responsible for their safety and cannot guarantee this won't happen again. As soon as I am able, I plan to trade this car in and get another Honda Accord-I have had two of them and my husband drives one, and we both agree they have been the most reliable cars we have owned. Sadly, I am still shelling out a car payment on this car I hardly drive.
There's no simple solution to these issues. It could be caused by a number of things. There are a lot of sensor and a lot more things are electronic now and not controlled by a wire or fluid.
Old February 6th, 2015 | 8:41 PM
Administrator

greenfield3 I think sledge.impy was meaning to imply sarcasm, the fact that the vehicle can hobble itself to at least allow you to continue to drive, granted its not at full speed, is better than being completely stranded at a stand still...
I do agree that if they parts the dealer replaced were in fact not bad, that you should get some credit, but that you need to argue at the time with the dealer and ALWAYS ask for any parts replaced back.

As sledge.impy pointed out, there are a lot of electronics that go into newer vehicles to make them more efficient, lighter and safer, but those electronics only last so long just as mechanical items wear...

I hope that all of the issues you are having do get resolved, and yes you are very correct, coming to the forum and asking questions is what people do to get help resolving problems similar to yours... thanks for being part of our forum
Old February 8th, 2015 | 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy Malibu 2007 issues

I've been experiencing this problem for a while now but just in the past few weeks has it been quitting on me. I took to the Chevy dealership to get checked & it was confirmed it is the throttle sensor. If this is a common problem why won't Chevrolet issue a recall? This is a very dangerous thing happening. I don't think it's fair for consumers to hafta pay for the repair if EVERYONE eventually has the issue.
Old February 16th, 2015 | 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default engine power reduced! so scary!

Was driving on the highway. Alert came on and car stalled. Towed it to dealer and changed throttle box for 700$. Drove again today on the highway and same issue. Petrified for my life. Any Malibu owners in the Detroit area who have this issue ?

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!