Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2020, 4:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by heather hartung
you guys been in business for how many decades
111 years

Unfortunately, you won't get any more love from Chrysler/Dodge/Fiat.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect an 11 yr old vehicle with 170k miles to be problem free. Certainly not worth getting emotional about.
Old April 12th, 2020, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Malibu with same issue

I just wanted to pop in to report that this issue has NOT been resolved on the new models. My 2019 Malibu just reached 7000 miles and has been towed twice. The first time left me without transportation for over a week. Second time (right now) probably will too because I'm in a remote area. Lemon law requires that you have it in the shop four times for the same thing. Not easy during a pandemic.
Old October 21st, 2021, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default reduced engine power - car will not run

I have read through this entire thread. It is scary to see that this may not be an easy fix and that Chevrolet is not recalling this issue. These posts go all the way back to 2014 and still no "real" solution. I have had my car for several years and I bought it used. 2012 Chevy Malibu It now has 172,000 miles on it. Has been a great car up until this happened to my husband coming home from work. The car just shut right off after getting the message reduced engine power. I am afraid that this will not be able to be fixed properly and a lot of money will have to be spent, that I don't have.
Old October 27th, 2021, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default This is happening to me as well

I have a 2013 Malibu.

So- this happened a couple years ago to me randomly and it was followed by violent shaking of my car. A piston blew into my oil pan and blew my entire engine. It was a weird freak incident according to the dealership I bought it from, and I was 200 miles OVER my warranty so I wasn’t covered. Luckily they felt bad for me and helped me out and I bought a brand new engine from them installed and out the door for $2,000!

Well- now the reduced engine speed warning, traction control warning lights, and engine light are here. My car set off all these lights and randomly shut down while driving down the highway and my toddler was in the car! It was TERRIFYING!

Took it to the mechanic across the street (didn’t want to risk driving it to the next town where I bought it and it’s $150+ to just have the dealership LOOK at it. My mechanic said it’s blowing codes, but none that have anything to do with what’s happening. It’s coding for a fuel emission sensor and something else fuel related. He expected to see a foot speed sensor or something like that.

After my entire engine blew for no foreseeable reason with under 100,000 miles on it- I’m terrified to drive this car now. And I still owe over $4,000 on it. Anyone ever get real answers for why this happens???
Old October 28th, 2021, 5:10 AM
vro
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Malibu

I had the same issue as everyone described. My Malibu suddenly went into limp mode. I was able to get to a safe place and turn off my car. I called my mechanic (son-in-law) and he came to me. After the car sat, it started and wasn’t in limp mode, but there were several code. Most along the lines of the throttle body sensor and wiring. After reviewing what everyone else had posted, we knew replacing parts weren’t the answer. My mechanic cleaned all of my sensors and the issue was resolved. So, if you are still having this issue, try having all of your sensors cleaned. It is definitely computer related. Good luck!
Old October 28th, 2021, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default Wow!

Originally Posted by vro
I had the same issue as everyone described. My Malibu suddenly went into limp mode. I was able to get to a safe place and turn off my car. I called my mechanic (son-in-law) and he came to me. After the car sat, it started and wasn’t in limp mode, but there were several code. Most along the lines of the throttle body sensor and wiring. After reviewing what everyone else had posted, we knew replacing parts weren’t the answer. My mechanic cleaned all of my sensors and the issue was resolved. So, if you are still having this issue, try having all of your sensors cleaned. It is definitely computer related. Good luck!
How do we clean them? Is it something we can do or do we need to take it to a mechanic? I want to try this!
Old October 29th, 2021, 6:51 AM
vro
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by amberd73
How do we clean them? Is it something we can do or do we need to take it to a mechanic? I want to try this!
my son-in-law is a mechanic, so he did it for me at my house. Contact your local mechanic shop and see if they will do it.
Old November 8th, 2021, 7:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amberd73
I have a 2013 Malibu.

So- this happened a couple years ago to me randomly and it was followed by violent shaking of my car. A piston blew into my oil pan and blew my entire engine. It was a weird freak incident according to the dealership I bought it from, and I was 200 miles OVER my warranty so I wasn’t covered. Luckily they felt bad for me and helped me out and I bought a brand new engine from them installed and out the door for $2,000!

Well- now the reduced engine speed warning, traction control warning lights, and engine light are here. My car set off all these lights and randomly shut down while driving down the highway and my toddler was in the car! It was TERRIFYING!

Took it to the mechanic across the street (didn’t want to risk driving it to the next town where I bought it and it’s $150+ to just have the dealership LOOK at it. My mechanic said it’s blowing codes, but none that have anything to do with what’s happening. It’s coding for a fuel emission sensor and something else fuel related. He expected to see a foot speed sensor or something like that.

After my entire engine blew for no foreseeable reason with under 100,000 miles on it- I’m terrified to drive this car now. And I still owe over $4,000 on it. Anyone ever get real answers for why this happens???
it happened with my 2005 Malibu one day, was turning a corner, & i had to work to turn.
Power steering was shot.
I think it was the throttle body sensor.
My brother is a mechanic & fixed it
but i don't remember the details of what happened exactly.

I have a 2017 Chevy Cruze now, & have had the O2 sensor replaced twice. The "check engine" light came on both times, & it was the O2 sensor, which checks the mixture of fuel & oxygen

Last edited by Gravydog316; November 8th, 2021 at 7:27 PM.